Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Networking QuickStart tutorial shows DebugMessage for all players - correct behaviour?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Networking QuickStart tutorial shows DebugMessage for all players - correct behaviour?

I've just completed the Networking Quickstart tutorial, where the project is called ThirdPersonMP: https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/...art/index.html

Part of the code is to show a debug message on the screen when health is lost (due to being hit by projectile), and as I understand it this text should only be visible for the player being shot at.

Also, this is explicitly mentioned in the guide:

When one player is hit by the custom projectile, the explosion particle should appear for both players, and the player taking the hit will receive a "hit" message telling them how much damage they took and their current health, while all other players in the session should not see anything.
    However, when I run it locally, the text is shown on both screens. If I increase from 2 to 3 players the message is shown on all screens.

My understanding is that the way to differentiate players here is the IsLocallyControlled() call:

Code:
    void AThirdPersonMPCharacter::OnHealthUpdate()
    {
        // Client-specific functionality
        if (IsLocallyControlled())
        {
            FString healthMessage = FString::Printf(TEXT("You now have %f health remaining."), CurrentHealth);
            GEngine->AddOnScreenDebugMessage(-1, 5.f, FColor::Blue, healthMessage);

if (CurrentHealth <= 0)
            {
                FString deathMessage = FString::Printf(TEXT("You have been killed."));
                GEngine->AddOnScreenDebugMessage(-1, 5.f, FColor::Red, deathMessage);
            }
        }

// Server-specific functionality
        if (Role == ROLE_Authority)
        {
            FString healthMessage = FString::Printf(TEXT("%s now has %f health remaining."), *GetFName().ToString(), CurrentHealth);
            GEngine->AddOnScreenDebugMessage(-1, 5.f, FColor::Blue, healthMessage);
        }

//Functions that occur on all machines.
        /*
            Any special functionality that should occur as a result of damage or death should be placed here.
        */
    }
    Is this the expected behaviour, or does this mean that I have done a mistake somewhere along the tutorial? Or is it because when I run in in the editor all players are run locally "for me"?

My only deviation from the tutorial (AFAIK) is that I include void HandleFire_Implementation(); in my ThirdPersonMPCharacter.h-file becuase otherwise it wouldn't compile:

Code:

// in ThirdPersonMPCharacter.h

/** Server function for spawning projectiles.*/
        UFUNCTION(Server, Reliable)
            void HandleFire();

void HandleFire_Implementation();
    Last edited by fauskanger; 05-09-2020, 02:00 PM. Reason: add tags

I did some more fiddling with this, and I added the Jump() command to the OnHealthUpdate()-method. Then, the character being shot at (i.e. the character whose health is changed) is the only character that jumps.

This suggests that the replication works with regards to the OnHealthUpdate()-method, and that the cause of my confusion is that the GEngine->AddOnScreenDebugMessage(...)-method results in debug messages for all players.

Of course, if anyone have any other useful insights I'd be glad to hear them, especially if there's a way to only show messages for certain players etc.

Thanks in advance, and have a great weekend.

Comment

I use the DrawDebugString method when I want to output stuff in multiplayer since you can output it in the game world attached to the actor. Anyway I just find the console too confusing in multiplayer so it may or may not help you. For example this outputs the actors Role above their head.

Code:
      DrawDebugString(GetWorld(), FVector(0, 0, 100), GetRoleText(GetLocalRole()), this, FColor::Green, DeltaTime);

FString YourClass::GetRoleText(ENetRole Role)
      {
          switch (Role)
          {
              case ROLE_None:
                  return "None";
              case ROLE_SimulatedProxy:
                  return "SimulatedProxy";
              case ROLE_AutonomousProxy:
                  return "AutonomousProxy";
              case ROLE_Authority:
                  return "Authority";
              default:
                  return "Error";
          }
      }
      Last edited by hard_code; 05-09-2020, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Thanks, that is much better!

Comment

Working...
        X