Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SetCollisionEnabled / SetCollisionProfileName AFTER SpawnActor seems to have no effect.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SetCollisionEnabled / SetCollisionProfileName AFTER SpawnActor seems to have no effect.

Hi guys,
    I'm really struggling with this issue. I need to enable/disable collision and manipulate collision channels at runtime. Just to make my test simple for now I just enable/disable collision without manipulating channels, so the code is just two lines.

My constructor creates the Default Sub Object and assign it
    mesh = CreateDefaultSubobject<UStaticMeshComponent>(TEXT("Mesh"));
    RootComponent = mesh;

If I place this code in the constructor of my C++ item class it has effect, my character can walk through the object, and there is no collision.

mesh->SetCollisionProfileName("NoCollision");
    mesh->SetCollisionEnabled(ECollisionEnabled::NoCollision);

If I place the same code in another function, after I called SpawnActor() to create my item, then the code has no effect.

UStaticMeshComponent* MyMeshComponent = ((UStaticMeshComponent*)obj->GetDefaultSubobjectByName("Mesh"));
    MyMeshComponent->SetCollisionProfileName("NoCollision");
    MyMeshComponent->SetCollisionEnabled(ECollisionEnabled::NoCollision);

This is done server side and item is replicated.

Any idea how to set collision after SpawnActor?
    Last edited by Talad; 03-26-2020, 12:06 PM.
    Join us in the development of PlaneShift, our free fantasy MMO.
    Check my YouTube Unreal Engine development sessions. Join our Discord.

Hi,
    I found the problem. The issue is that collision in the constructor is replicated to the clients automatically, as the constructor is also run on clients, while the code I have after Spawn Actor is only executed on the server. The solution I adopted now is to have a variable called collisionType

UPROPERTY(ReplicatedUsing = OnCollisionChanged)
    int collisionType;

which is replicated to all clients. When that variable changes the function OnCollisionChanged is executed on all clients,. In OnCollisionChanged() I placed the collision code I want.

Note that the function is not executed server side, so you need to call that server side yourself as well.

Join us in the development of PlaneShift, our free fantasy MMO.
    Check my YouTube Unreal Engine development sessions. Join our Discord.

Comment

Working...
    X