Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Converting a Skeletal Mesh Component to Scene Component?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converting a Skeletal Mesh Component to Scene Component?

Hello everyone!
    I am having an issue figuring out where to go from here with my code. I am spawning a weapon, and trying to attach it to an actors Skeletal Mesh Component.
    I have an Actor Component called AC_WeaponHandler that is a child of my actor.

AC_WeaponHandler.cpp:
    Code:
      AActor* WeaponActor = GetWorld()->SpawnActor(Weapon);                   //Gets Weapon Reference
        AActor* ActorRef = GetOwner();                        //Gets Actor Reference
        TArray<USkeletalMeshComponent*> SKMesh;                     //Creates Skeletal Mesh Array
        ActorRef->GetComponents<USkeletalMeshComponent>(SKMesh);                     //Appends Skeletal Mesh Array SKMesh
        WeaponActor->AttachToComponent(NEEDMESHHERE,FAttachmentTransformRules (EAttachmentRule::SnapToTarget, true), "weaponSocket");           //Attach Weapon to SKMesh Socket
    I know that I cannot directly access the mesh from the array and it needs to be specifically assigned to a variable, and then passed to "NEEDMESHHERE" However the syntax for AttachToComponent() requires a USceneComponent and not a USkeletalMeshComponent. When I pull the mesh from the array, how can I convert it to a scene component? Or am I going about this all wrong? I have been researching this for a day and most of the 'solutions' I found did not work, as the syntax must have changed since when the solutions were posted. I have come to the above code mostly by looking at the code from within the definition in VS. Also I am relatively new to C++. Been messing with it on and off for a few years.

As it turns out, this question was asked 4 days ago... https://forums.unrealengine.com/deve...scenecomponent
    Heh... Here is my new code if it helps anyone!

Code:
        AActor* WeaponActor = GetWorld()->SpawnActor(Weapon);  //Gets Weapon Reference
        AActor* ActorRef = GetOwner();   //Gets Actor Reference
        TArray<USkeletalMeshComponent*> SKMesh;  //Creates Skeletal Mesh Array
        ActorRef->GetComponents<USkeletalMeshComponent>(SKMesh); //Appends Skeletal Mesh Array SKMesh
        USceneComponent* SceneComp = Cast<USceneComponent>(SKMesh[0]);
        WeaponActor->AttachToComponent(SceneComp,FAttachmentTransformRules (EAttachmentRule::SnapToTarget, true), "weaponSocket"); //Attach Weapon to SKMesh Socket

Comment

You don't need to do any casting, A SkeletalMeshComponent *IS* a Scene Component because it inherits from it.

Comment

Working...
      X