• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't get intellisense working 100%

Hi everyone!

I'm using:
    UE 4.24.2
    Visual Studio 2017

I've installed any Visual Studio components I've seen mentioned in the docs.

With UE 4.18, I tested that GoTo Declaration and GoTo Definition work. GoTo doesn't work for the constructor. Is this normal?

With UE 4.24.2, by default, GoTo Declaration and Definition don't work. If I add the header directory for the class manually to the Project Properties Include section, I can GoTo Declaration, but
    can't GoTo Definition from the header file.

Please let me know what I need to do to set up Intellisense in the standard way?

Thank you

Hey there, I also couldn't get this to work, and from what I can tell it's incomplete either in UE or in VS. I get the impression that UE takes macros to a whole new level not normally found in other C++ projects. It is what it is.

I took an online course that recommended the Visual Assist plugin and it works great. Still get some false positives on squiggly lines, but well worth the money.

https://wholetomato.com/

They have a free trial.

Comment

Hey FunAndFriendly, I'm glad I'm not alone in my misery lol! Thanks so much for the reply ! I've been trying so many things. I've reinstalled windows and started fresh to be sure haha. Are you also doing this course from Udemy?:
      Unreal Engine 4 Mastery: Create Multiplayer Games with C++
      They also recommended Visual Assist. It's funny that you brought it up too, because I was just reading about it on their site and trying the trial now and the GoTo's work out of the box .

Do you think most c++ UE4 users use it to avoid frustration?
      I'm looking at the personal license. So after a year, you can still use it permanently, but just can't update it, and if you do want to update it, you pay the full amount again for another year?
      The price seems reasonable for a year.

Comment

I also can absolutely recommend Visual Assist. Another option would be ReSharper.

Originally posted by nofxboy1234 View Post
        Do you think most c++ UE4 users use it to avoid frustration?
        I'm looking at the personal license. So after a year, you can still use it permanently, but just can't update it, and if you do want to update it, you pay the full amount again for another year?
        The price seems reasonable for a year.

Yes, but I would call it "using it to have a better live"
        And Yes that's how the Licensing is working.

Comment

Thank you PrHangs !

Comment

LOL, I *just* started that course, and yes that's the one. See you in the comments or PM me here :-)

Comment

Haha, awesome, thanks

Comment

Visual Assist is the way to go. It's worth the price if you write a lot of C++ code.

Comment

Working...
                X