Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'Build' in Visual Studio doesnt take, sometimes I have to click 'Compile' in Editor to see changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Build' in Visual Studio doesnt take, sometimes I have to click 'Compile' in Editor to see changes

Hi all.

I am quite new to UE4, but not completely new to programming or game development.

I am making a simple class which moves a camera from left to right. I try to make some small changes such as adding a UE_LOG message, or changing the direction in code. Normally I have been clicking 'Build' on the Solution Explorer 'MyProject' in VS2017. Suddenly (last night and today) this seems to not carry through to UE4. I get message in VS2017 'Build Succeeded'. But the code changes dont have any effect.

All I have to do to 'fix' the issue, is then 'Compile' in UE4 and the code changes all work as expected.

For testing, I tried not even clicking 'Build' in VS and this also works fine.

NB. I have been getting error in VS2017 ever since installing Unreal again. I posted here and Stack Overflow about it but I got no solid help with it. I don't know if this is related but the error I get is when 'Build' in VS after it says: ' E1574 static assertion failed with "TAtomic is only usable with trivial types" '

From what I read I need to change Compliler settings to remove /Zp option. But all the details in links I found where outdated (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp...t?view=vs-2019 / https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...packing-option )

Maybe you are building the wrong target in Visual Studio, maybe building Debug Game or Debug Game Editor instead of Development Editor?
    Game Programmer - Working for a Indie Studio.

Visit my blog: TheGamesDev

InterKaos Games

PC Specs:

Comment

thanks for your reply. Sadly I don't think this is the case. In VS2017 I tried clicking 'Build Solution' (from the Build topdown menu) and the result is the same. I am a newbie though and havent had to change Visual Studio compiler/dependency settings for a long time (every time I've done it I just blindly follow developers tutorials on those parts)

Comment

According to this: https://forums.unrealengine.com/deve...n-this-command It is something to do with how I tagged variables with UPROPERTY()

So here is the code may shed light on why i get error :
        Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State

Error MSB3075 The command ""C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.24\Engine\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat" MyProjectEditor Win64 Development -Project="C:\_UNREAL_PROJECTS\repos\MyProject\MyProject.uproject" -WaitMutex -FromMsBuild" exited with code 5. Please verify that you have sufficient rights to run this command. MyProject C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets 44

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
        Error (active) E1574 static assertion failed with "TAtomic is only usable with trivial types" MyProject C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.24\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Templates\Atomic.h 537

Code:
        #pragma once

#include "CoreMinimal.h"
        #include "GameFramework/Actor.h"
        #include "CameraDirector.generated.h"

UCLASS()
        class MYPROJECT_API ACameraDirector : public AActor
        {
            GENERATED_BODY()

public:    
            // Sets default values for this actor's properties
            ACameraDirector();

UPROPERTY(EditAnywhere) AActor* Camera1;

UPROPERTY(EditAnywhere) AActor* Camera2;

UPROPERTY(EditAnywhere) AActor* Camera3;

float TimeToNextCameraChange;
            int CurrentCamera = 0;

protected:
            // Called when the game starts or when spawned
            virtual void BeginPlay() override;

public:    
            // Called every frame
            virtual void Tick(float DeltaTime) override;

};
        Last edited by GoldenNuggsGames; 01-14-2020, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Might be best to show the Output log not the error list.
          Game Programmer - Working for a Indie Studio.

Visit my blog: TheGamesDev

InterKaos Games

PC Specs:

Comment

Working...
          X