BitMask Tutorial?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BitMask Tutorial?

Im wondering if someone can help me understand bitmasks in a simple way. i've never used them and i tried looking at the API but i just dont understand it.. I understand how to make them. I just dont understand how to USE them. I made the enum and everything. I have 2. One for faction type of my character and the other for movement calling such as attacking, dodging, sprinting, etc. I tried to use my flag in an if statement and its not working. nor do i know how to set the flag to the proper number. Any help is appreciated, thank you!
    from the tutorial, this is what i came up with :
    UENUM(BlueprintType, meta = (Bitflags))

enum class EMovementCallFlags : uint8

{

Dodging,

Sprinting,

Attacking,

Blocking,

};

ENUM_CLASS_FLAGS(EMovementCallFlags)
    UPROPERTY(EditAnywhere, Category = "MovementCalls", meta = (Bitmask, BitmaskEnum = "EMovementCallFlags"))

uint8 MovementCallFlags;

Bitflags aren't UE4 specific, I'd just google for a good C++ Bit Operators tutorial and run through that. They're simple, but rather difficult to describe in just a few lines.

As for your questions:

To turn a flag on:
    Code:
    MovementCallFlags |= EMovementCallFlags::Dodging;
    To turn a flag off:
    Code:
    MovementCallFlags &= ~EMovementCallFlags::Dodging;
    To test for a flag:
    Code:
    if (MovementCallFlags & EMovementCallFags::Dodging)
    {
       // Flag is true.
    }
    Able Ability System - A high performance, robust ability system for UE4. Now Available!

Comment

ExtraLifeMatt Hey! Thank you for replying i will definitely look this up, i appreciate it!

Comment

Working...
      X