Speed up workflow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speed up workflow

Hello everyone! I'm new to c++ programming inside unreal. I've used Visual Studio for a one serious project and some smaller ones, another words I'm not very experienced with it too. I've finished prototyping my gameplay mechanics and started to optimize my game and translate all visual scripting into code. And I've faced a big trouble for me. It takes too long to make anything. For example: building project, opening blueprints. I think that I've missed something. Is there are ways to speed up workflow?

Well one option is to brute force it, buy a faster CPU and more/better RAM

Besides that, consider that not everything needs to be changed from blueprints to code. A mixed approach can work very well. This way you're not spending as much time writing C++ and compiling. Just start everything as a C++ class and extend it with a blueprint class. Then you can write the calculation intensive and tick parts in C++ and the higher level game logic in blueprints (and write functions intended to be used in blueprints). This way you can quickly iterate different gameplay design choices by just changing high level blueprints without needing to recompile.

Also try to keep your blueprint graphs to reasonable sizes, split them up into functions if you can (or put a function in C++) to avoid huge graphs that are slow to work with.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelso View Post
      Well one option is to brute force it, buy a faster CPU and more/better RAM

I've got intel i7-7700HQ with 2.8 GHz and 8gb of RAM.

Originally posted by Kelso View Post
      Besides that, consider that not everything needs to be changed from blueprints to code. A mixed approach can work very well. This way you're not spending as much time writing C++ and compiling. Just start everything as a C++ class and extend it with a blueprint class. Then you can write the calculation intensive and tick parts in C++ and the higher level game logic in blueprints (and write functions intended to be used in blueprints). This way you can quickly iterate different gameplay design choices by just changing high level blueprints without needing to recompile.
      That's what I'm trying to do. I write tick parts, complex algorithms in C++ as blueprint functions and use them in editor. But still it take ages to build projects and open a class in Visual Studio.

Comment

Try rebuilding the Engine (if you modified the code). I once changed the Engine code and it started compiling more than 300 files (15 minutes) everytime on minor changes in the project code (2-3 worth of lines modification). I redownloaded the Engine from GitHub, rebuilt it and the problem was gone.
        https://ravimohan.net/
        https://github.com/ravimohan1991

Comment

Originally posted by GlebDot View Post

I've got intel i7-7700HQ with 2.8 GHz and 8gb of RAM.
          Your processor isn't THAT bad, but 8GBs is really pushing the lower limit for UE4 development. Try and get to 16GBs (if not 32+).
          Able Ability System - A high performance, robust ability system for UE4. Now Available!

Comment

Working...
          X