Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

C++ beginner with some high lvl experience.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C++ beginner with some high lvl experience.

Hello everyone,
    I'm pretty good with Javascript and NodeJS. I'm a hobby web-developer and would like to learn C++.
    Do you guys have some tutorials for me? I mean I don't need to watch "How to create variables" etc.

Something like "Create a player from scratch" and the other thing would be, should I spawn, etc all my players using C++ or should I do it just with drag and drop?
    Is there a rule that I should follow, I imagine that Math is done faster in native C++ compared to Blueprints
    Is a C++ character faster than a BP character?

It is nice that you are interested in Engine C++ programming (we are dying breed ). A good way is to learn by example written from scratch and one is https://github.com/ravimohan1991/MAI just that. The (long term) idea is to generate the project into a library but the aim is to discover inner working of Engine by brute force and public discussions.

I'd recommend making a project with baby goals ultimately culminating into well directed scheme. I have been doing it with previous versions of the engine and now, for me, it's time for latest version!

Comment

Originally posted by The-Cowboy View Post
      It is nice that you are interested in Engine C++ programming (we are dying breed ).
      No just no, where do you get the idea that C++ programmers are a dying breed?

Originally posted by DamianToczek View Post
      Is there a rule that I should follow, I imagine that Math is done faster in native C++ compared to Blueprints
      Is a C++ character faster than a BP character?
      Unless your charachter will be extremly complex or requires something that blueprints cant do there isnt really much reason to go for c++
      Dont spend time trying to optimize something that dont even exist yet try creating a prototype of your charachter instead.

But if you still want to learn using C++ in ue4 there are hours of tutorials on youtube just make sure you understand atleast the basics of C++ before diving in.

Comment

Originally posted by The-Cowboy View Post
        It is nice that you are interested in Engine C++ programming (we are dying breed ).
        I also would not call C++ programmers a dying breed as long as it is in the top 5 in almost any type of survey only beaten by Java and Python. If you believe that flow-graph (Blueprint) is taking over don't forget that behind the scenes Blueprints are C++ not the other way around. If you exposed everything C++ can do to Blueprint it would be a complete mess and the point of it would be lost.
        Whenever you make something "easier" you can't avoid making it less efficient as the compiler has to make a best guess of your intention. C++ isn't going anywhere.

Learn Blueprint to get you started, then Learn C++, then Learn UE4 C++ by going through the documentation. It is a bit sparse with proper C++ tutorials for UE4 so most of the time you will have to dive into existing code consisting of old and new styles. You get a long way with the documentation though.

Comment

Originally posted by Lambdarevolution View Post
          No just no, where do you get the idea that C++ programmers are a dying breed?
          Just a hunch! Based on the information pelted on the forums, for instance https://forums.unrealengine.com/deve...23#post1638123

Comment

Documentation is rarely great for any piece of software so you just got to make do with what you have. No offense to those that make everything in Blueprint but they tend to need more help than programmers since they may come from a non-programmer background which is probably why nearly every tutorial is focused on them.

The key skill for programmers is that they know how to solve problems with or without documentation and tutorials. Like I said though it would be nice with more learning material for C++ as it can be a daunting task to learn some of the intricate systems in the engine that are very useful to know about.

Comment

Google/youtube ue4 c++ tutorial. Plenty to get you going. Just make sure its within 1-2 years of age as the engibe changes quickly.

Generally you create players/objects in c++ and then drag/drop thrm into the world. Spawning through c++ isnt needed unless you actually want something to spawn in game at a specific time.

Comment

Working...
              X