How to use delegates as parameter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to use delegates as parameter

Hi! I'm pretty new in using delegates in Unreal and I'm kind of stuck. So I have a class where I defined a delegate and its constructor takes it in as a parameter: WorldGeneration.h
    Code:
    DECLARE_DELEGATE_TwoParams(FWorldGenerationCallback, TArray&, MeshData*);

class PROCEDURALWORLD_API WorldGeneration: public FRunnable
     {
     public:
         WorldGeneration(WorldStats* stats, FWorldGenerationCallback& callback);
         ~WorldGeneration();
     //some other functions
     private:
         TArray mGrid;
         WorldStats* mStats;
         FWorldGenerationCallback mFinishCallback;
         MeshData* mMeshData;
     };
    WorldGeneration.cpp:
    Code:
    WorldGeneration::WorldGeneration(WorldStats* stats, FWorldGenerationCallback& callback)
    {
         mStats = stats;
        //delegate is used in some other function inside WorldGeneration class with .Execute 
        mFinishCallback = callback; 
    }
    Now inside the other class I'm trying to create the WorldGeneration instance and send the function I want to be using as delegate GeneratedWorld.cpp
    Code:
    void AGeneratedWorld::LoadMeshData(TArray& createdGrid, MeshData* meshData)
    {
        //function I want to send as delegate
    }

void AGeneratedWorld::RequestWorldGeneration()
    {
        WorldStats* stats = new WorldStats();
        //more code

//I don't know how to send the LoadMeshData function
        WorldGeneration* worldGeneration = new WorldGeneration(stats, &AGeneratedWorld::LoadMeshData);
    }
    I know that in Unity you can just pass in the name of the function like I've done in the code above and it works normally... What am I doing wrong?

Well, &AGeneratedWorld::LoadMeshData just created a function pointer. You need a delegate there. So you want something similar to

Code:
    void AGeneratedWorld::RequestWorldGeneration()
    {
            WorldStats* stats = new WorldStats();
            FWorldGenerationCallback Callback = FWorldGenerationCallback::CreateRaw(this, &AGeneratedWorld::LoadMeshData);
            WorldGeneration* worldGeneration = new WorldGeneration(stats, Callback);
    }
    This is the closest to the metal way but you really should define LoadMeshData() as a UFUNCTION(). Then you could use FWorldGenerationCallback::CreateUObject or FWorldGenerationCallback::CreateUFunction to create the delegate. You can find more about delegates here:

https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/...ture/Delegates
    Joseph Wilcox
    [Technical Director] WisEngineering
    https://www.wisedrl.com

Comment

It doesn't need to be a UFUNCTION, you can (and should) just use CreateUObject in place of CreateRaw above.

Comment

My bad, I thought in order to use CreateUObject() you needed the UFUNCTION() preprocessor. I guess you only need it for CreateUFUnction()
        Joseph Wilcox
        [Technical Director] WisEngineering
        https://www.wisedrl.com

Comment

Working...
        X