No announcement yet.

Cannot open include file 'windows.h'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah you'll want to have to compiler installed before you install the engine. Since the engine will not know where your compiler is because it's installed before it exists. Also generating visual studio files helps.
    Youtube
    Machine Learning C++ Plugin
    Lindenmayer System C++ Plugin

Comment

Another thing worth mentioning is how horrible Windows is at updating environment variables after installs; i.e. if you leave a command prompt open (say to run a bat file) then install a program (like VS) and don't close/re-open the cmd prompt it won't get any of the new env vars from the installed program. Windows 8 is particularly bad in this area and I have had to log-off or restart to get my env vars to propagate to cmd prompts.

Comment

Originally posted by bleeds187 View Post
        The file I was referring to previously is part of the UBT that generates the project files so you will need to debug the execution of it that occurs when running GenerateProject files; assuming you already have access to the Git Hub project you can see the code im talking about here: https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealE...VCToolChain.cs

Lastly as a tip, you should read this to learn a "trick" for opening any file by name in a visual studio solution using its command interpreter thingy hidden in the find box: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/andrewarnott...-solution.aspx
        Well I used the installer, so I do not have the engine source and this file does not exist on my computer. I also do not have any "GenerateProjectFiles" but a "RocketGenerateProjectFiles" and it fails when launched, trying to access source code that doesn't exist. I am not using a source installation and am merely trying to build a basic sample project.

I reinstalled Windows 8.1 SDK and redownloaded UE4 during the night, the problem still stands, nothing will build.
        Helium Rain, a realistic space opera

Comment

I am now trying to make the engine from source, hoping to get more info on what exactly is wrong. Cloned the relase, installed dependencies, generated files, opened the solution, clicked build.

Cannot open windows.h. UnrealHeaderTool will not compile because of that, and the rest of the engine with it. How exactly can I detect the issue ?

Comment

Still no one ? Am I really the only one that can't get a single project building after trying for 24 hours ?

Comment

Originally posted by Gwenn View Post
              Still no one ? Am I really the only one that can't get a single project building after trying for 24 hours ?
              Try this. https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...s-h-etc-SOLVED

I still haven't been able to update my engine to the public version, yet. When i do and your still having trouble ill be happy to answer the question in more detail on the answerhub
              Youtube

Comment

This does work for building the project, yes. Thanks !

How is this going to work out when adding new classes ? Won't the project file be regenerated ?

Comment

As predicted, adding a new class erases all settings for the project. The "inherit" fix works very well but requires the operation every time code is added.

Comment

FIX for the bug : just don't have special chars in your Windows account name. Like ?. Because that will prevent Unreal Engine from compiling C++ code. Because why not.

The delicious irony is that obviously the Unreal forums don't support special chars either, since the above character was replaced by "?". Come on Epic Games, we have fantastic names here in France, we need those special chars
                    Last edited by StrangerGwenn; 03-21-2014, 09:27 AM.

Comment

FIX for the bug : just don't have special chars in your Windows account name. Like ?. Because that will prevent Unreal Engine from compiling C++ code. Because why not.

The delicious irony is that obviously the Unreal forums don't support special chars either, since the above character was replaced by "?". Come on Epic Games, we have fantastic names here in France, we need those special chars
                      Had the exact same problems the whole day, thanks for sharing! (swedish characters... )

Comment

Really great you guys got it working. If you posted a answer-hub question and it's still open you can(should) reply with an answer and flag it correct

That way others can search and find the answer

EDIT -

I see that you did that 9 hours ago ! <3
                        Last edited by SaxonRah; 03-21-2014, 06:42 PM.
                        Youtube

Comment

How do you fix the problem exactly because my name and account name have an É and i cannot compile project

Comment

Sorry for opening this up again, but I'm having the exact same problem, except my username in windows consists of only standard letters. I reinstalled both vs2013 and unreal multiple times, have upgraded to vs2013 ultimate, still nothing. Whenever I try to run the example code for 3rd person, this is the error:

1>------ Build started: Project: MyProject, Configuration: DebugGame_Editor x64 ------
                            1> Performing 8 actions (max 4 parallel jobs)
                            1> [2/8] rc.exe ModuleVersionResource.rc.inl
                            1> [3/8] rc.exe MyProject.rc
                            1> PCH.MyProject.MyProject.h.cpp
                            1>C:\Users\juggle\Documents\Unreal Projects\MyProject\Source\MyProject\Resources\Windows\MyProject.rc(11): fatal error RC1015: cannot open include file 'windows.h'.
                            1>
                            1>D:\Program Files (x86)\Unreal Engine\4.4\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Resources\Windows\ModuleVersionResource.rc.inl(3): fatal error RC1015: cannot open include file 'windows.h'.
                            1>
                            1>D:\Program Files (x86)\Unreal Engine\4.4\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\HAL\PlatformIncludes.h(8): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'new': No such file or directory
                            1> -------- End Detailed Actions Stats -----------------------------------------------------------
                            1>ERROR : UBT error : Failed to produce item: C:\Users\juggle\Documents\Unreal Projects\MyProject\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor-MyProject-Win64-DebugGame.dll
                            1> Cumulative action seconds (4 processors): 0,00 building projects, 0,31 compiling, 0,00 creating app bundles, 0,00 generating debug info, 0,00 linking, 0,00 other
                            1> UBT execution time: 3,46 seconds
                            1>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V120\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets(38,5): error MSB3073: The command ""D:\Program Files (x86)\Unreal Engine\4.4\Engine\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat" MyProjectEditor Win64 DebugGame "C:\Users\juggle\Documents\Unreal Projects\MyProject\MyProject.uproject" -rocket" exited with code -1.
                            ========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

My vs2013 is installed to C, but unreal is on my D drive. I have no other way of doing this, can someone please help me out with this!? It seems like I just need to redirect some path...

thx

Comment

In visual studio go to project properties - > vc++ directiories and set include and library , library winrt, reference too i think directories to inherit from parent.

Comment

FIXED. I cannot believe it.
                                Set those 4 to "inherit" and it worked instantly.
                                Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                                X