Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Actors seem to be influencing other actors of same type.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actors seem to be influencing other actors of same type.

I have a platform I place in my level and is supposed to pulse the emissive glow in a material during Tick(). This all works 100% fine, except for when I have more than one placed in the level at a time. Once I add another platform to my level the pulse on both of them is very erratic. I know I can do this in the material itself which I will probably end up doing. But what is it about my code that the actors are influencing each other? I'd rather understand my issue than just apply a bandaid and run into the problem again later.

.h
    Code:
    UPROPERTY(EditAnywhere, Category = "PlatformSettings")
    FLinearColor GlowColor = FLinearColor(1.f, 0.f, 0.f, 1.f);

UPROPERTY(EditAnywhere, Category = "PlatformSettings", meta = (ClampMin = "0.0", ClampMax = "1000.0", UIMin = "0.0", UIMax = "1000.0"))
    float GlowIntensity = 225.f;
    .cpp
    Code:
    AMainPlatform::AMainPlatform()
    {
         // Set this actor to call Tick() every frame.  You can turn this off to improve performance if you don't need it.
        PrimaryActorTick.bCanEverTick = true;

USceneComponent* RootComp = CreateDefaultSubobject<USceneComponent>(TEXT("RootComponent"));
        RootComponent = RootComp;

PlatformMesh = CreateDefaultSubobject<UStaticMeshComponent>(TEXT("PlatformMesh"));
        PlatformMesh->SetupAttachment(RootComponent);
        static ConstructorHelpers::FObjectFinder<UStaticMesh> PlatformVisualAsset(TEXT("/Game/Discrimmage/StaticMesh/SM_MainPlatform.SM_MainPlatform"));
        if (PlatformVisualAsset.Succeeded())
        {
            PlatformMesh->SetStaticMesh(PlatformVisualAsset.Object);
        }

}

void AMainPlatform::OnConstruction(const FTransform& Transform)
    {
        if (PlatformGlowMatInstance == nullptr)
        {
            PlatformGlowMatInstance = PlatformMesh->CreateDynamicMaterialInstance(1, PlatformMesh->GetMaterial(1), NAME_None);
        }
        PlatformGlowMatInstance->SetVectorParameterValue(FName("Color"), GlowColor);
        PlatformGlowMatInstance->SetScalarParameterValue(FName("Intensity"), GlowIntensity);
    }

// Called every frame
    void AMainPlatform::Tick(float DeltaTime)
    {
        Super::Tick(DeltaTime);

float GlowPulse = 0.f;
        static float PulseDirection;
        if (PulseDirection == 0.f)
        {
            PulseDirection = 1.f;
        }

float CurrentIntensity;
        PlatformGlowMatInstance->GetScalarParameterValue(FName("Intensity"), CurrentIntensity);

if (CurrentIntensity >= GlowIntensity * 1.5f || CurrentIntensity <= GlowIntensity * 0.5f)
        {
            PulseDirection *= -1;
        }

GlowPulse += DeltaTime * GlowIntensity * PulseDirection;

PlatformGlowMatInstance->SetScalarParameterValue(FName("Intensity"), CurrentIntensity + GlowPulse);
    }
    Quick video to show the behavior.
    https://youtu.be/ZKWz6jGRf9I
    Last edited by MPatrickDearman; 07-20-2018, 10:33 AM.

Code:
    static float PulseDirection;
    is what is causing the issue.

Static variables are like globals. Imagine you made a global variable called
    Code:
    float g_AMainPlatform_Tick_PulseDirection;
    But that global can only be accessed inside the Tick function.

No matter what instance accesses it the value same value is passed to every instance.

https://www.cprogramming.com/tutoria...ickeyword.html
    Last edited by smilingrob; 07-21-2018, 12:42 AM.

Comment

Also worth noting that a simple pulsing effect can be handled very easily by the material itself. There's no need to tick an actor purely to pulse a material.

Comment

@TheJamsh

I know I can do this in the material itself which I will probably end up doing. But what is it about my code that the actors are influencing each other? I'd rather understand my issue than just apply a bandaid and run into the problem again later.
        I appreciate the input, you can see from my original post I knew I could do that. This was mostly just, "why does my code behave this way?" type question. Which I also knew how static variables behaved, I just didn't put two and two together for some reason. I guess I was scatter brained from all the frustration of MAKING GAMES! lol

I also realize it's almost a year later, but meh, I've got a FTJ and 3 kiddos. It takes me a while to get back to things sometimes, haha.

Comment

Working...
        X