[Solved] Intellisense cannot find source files in new (untouched) project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved] Intellisense cannot find source files in new (untouched) project

I am having problems getting intellisense to work, even in a brand new (completely unedited) project. I can tell it's intellisense because the project builds and runs fine but the error log is constantly filled with complaints about missing generated files (see image below). This problem also happens in my other projects as well.

This is definitely a major problem because it renders live error checking completely useless. I've already tried deleting all the folders I can and regenerating the project files multiple times. Currently I'm using VS 2017 and this happens in 4.19.2 and 4.20 preview 5.

Another annoying issue is that I can't click on C++ files in the editor to open them because I will see the "Loading Visual Studio 2017..." toast forever. This also happens in 4.19.2 and 4.20.

This is a less important issue than losing any ability to error check, but is still frustrating. I'm surprised using VS2017 with UE4 feels so undercooked this far into the development of the engine.

EDIT 2: We did it! Epic will be introducing a fix for this problem in 4.20.3!

EDIT: Please vote on this issue so we can get an actual for fix for this issue. Currently Epic has this problem as "Backlogged" so every vote counts.

In this video I explain the solution to this problem. If you want to see the old solution check out my post on the Answerhub.

The following are the include paths that you need:

$(SolutionDir)Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\$(SolutionName);$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\AIModule;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\AITestSuite;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\AnalyticsVisualEditing;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\AnimationCore;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\AnimGraphRuntime;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\AssetRegistry;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\AudioMixer;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\AudioPlatformConfiguration;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\AugmentedReality;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\AutomationController;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\AutomationMessages;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\BlueprintRuntime;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\BuildPatchServices;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\CinematicCamera;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\ClientPilot;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\ClothingSystemRuntime;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\ClothingSystemRuntimeInterface;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\CoreUObject;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\EditorStyle;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\Engine;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\EngineMessages;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\EngineSettings;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\EyeTracker;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\Foliage;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\FriendsAndChat;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\GameMenuBuilder;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\GameplayDebugger;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\GameplayTags;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\GameplayTasks;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\HeadMountedDisplay;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\InputCore;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\JsonUtilities;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\Landscape;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\LevelSequence;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\LiveLinkInterface;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\LiveLinkMessageBusFramework;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\Localization;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\MaterialShaderQualitySettings;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\MediaAssets;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\MediaIOCore;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\MeshDescription;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\MessagingRpc;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\MoviePlayer;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\MovieScene;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\MovieSceneCapture;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\MovieSceneTracks;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\MRMesh;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\NavigationSystem;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\Overlay;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\PacketHandler;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\PortalMessages;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\PortalRpc;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\PortalServices;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\ProfilerMessages;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\PropertyPath;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\Renderer;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\RuntimeAssetCache;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\ScreenShotComparisonTools;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\Serialization;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\SessionMessages;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\Slate;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\SlateCore;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\SlateReflector;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\SourceControl;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\TimeManagement;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\UMG;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\UnrealEdMessages;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\VectorVM;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\WebBrowser;$(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\WidgetCarousel;
    I hope this helps anyone who comes across the same problems!
    Last edited by TacoShank; 09-13-2018, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Thank you very much. I got the same issue after I started using 4.20

Comment

Unfortunately, this doesn't work for me. I still get the same errors. Any other ideas?

p.s. also, if I understand correctly, every time, I am going to click on Generate Visual Studio project files I'll have to repeat these steps right? Because the include paths get overwritten if I am not mistaken.

EDIT: actually, looking at your screenshot, I see that my Evaluated values are different. Is that maybe because I installed UE420 on a different partition?

EDIT2: I can confirm that changing these entries so that Evaluated values correspond my system worked. Also, I had to add directories for my C++ plugin (BP Function library). And also, I can confirm that this whole procedure has to be repeated everytime you Regenerate VS project files. Pretty annoying must say...
        Attached Files
        Last edited by mitjaprelovsek; 07-25-2018, 05:56 AM. Reason: found a fix (sort of)

Comment

Not sure how much it matters but OP had posted something that wasn't QUITE right for me

In the beginning of the BIG copy/paste you need to do there is:

$(SolutionDir)\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\$(SolutionName);

Which should be

$(SolutionDir)Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\$(SolutionName);

Because for me at least $(SolutionDir) included the \ in it, so I ended up having a "path\\path" and that caused it to not work for me. Eliminating that \ between solutionDir) and Intermediate made the whole thing work for me.

Comment

Originally posted by mitjaprelovsek View Post
            Unfortunately, this doesn't work for me. I still get the same errors. Any other ideas?

p.s. also, if I understand correctly, every time, I am going to click on Generate Visual Studio project files I'll have to repeat these steps right? Because the include paths get overwritten if I am not mistaken.

EDIT: actually, looking at your screenshot, I see that my Evaluated values are different. Is that maybe because I installed UE420 on a different partition?

EDIT2: I can confirm that changing these entries so that Evaluated values correspond my system worked. Also, I had to add directories for my C++ plugin (BP Function library). And also, I can confirm that this whole procedure has to be repeated everytime you Regenerate VS project files. Pretty annoying must say...
            Yeah I ran into the problem of having to redo the procedure every time you regenerate VS project files as well. Honestly I went back to 4.19.2 because the amount of annoying problems I've run into even after this fix isn't worth it.

Originally posted by namrog84 View Post
            Not sure how much it matters but OP had posted something that wasn't QUITE right for me

In the beginning of the BIG copy/paste you need to do there is:

$(SolutionDir)\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\$(SolutionName);

Which should be

$(SolutionDir)Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\$(SolutionName);

Because for me at least $(SolutionDir) included the \ in it, so I ended up having a "path\\path" and that caused it to not work for me. Eliminating that \ between solutionDir) and Intermediate made the whole thing work for me.
            Nice catch, I looked into this and it seems like you're right. Not sure how that was still working for me originally but I've updated the post and fixed this. Thanks again!

Comment

Thanks. I voted for the bug, but I think I'm gonna go back to 4.19 for now as well. Its just such an annoying problem that it's causing various other issues.

Hopefully will be hotfix'd and not have to wait for 4.21 or 4.22

Comment

This fix doesn't seem to be working for me.

Comment

Apparently there is a ";" missing after CoreUObject

Comment

Originally posted by delustra View Post
                    Apparently there is a ";" missing after CoreUObject
                    Another nice catch, I've edited the original post. Also, I double checked the paths and I didn't see any more mistakes like this. Thanks for your help!

P.S. Luckily now that Epic will be patching this in 4.20.2 we wont have to rely on potentially error-prone include lists anymore.

Comment

For those suffering this bug, what do we need to do to a project after updating to 20.2? Will the included paths be fixed on an already started project, or does something need to be done first?

based on the issue page, it looks like target fix is 20.3, not 20.2
                      Last edited by crossmr; 08-23-2018, 05:27 AM.

Comment

Intellisence still can't find few .generated.h files... Controller.generated.h, Pawn.generated.h, SpringArmComponent.generated.h, MovementComponent.generated.h, CameraComponent.generated.h and so on.
                        Atleast not for me

BTW don't you know why Intellisense shows me "Pointer to incomplete class type is not allowed" error? Also shows warnings for some macros. That wasn't there before.

Comment

Code:
                          $(MSBuildStartupDirectory)
                          yields a different path depending on where you launch VS from. ie. if double-clicking the sln file in the project dir. that dir will be used. which will make it not work.

I had to go through the string and replace all occurrences of
                          Code:
                          $(MSBuildStartupDirectory)\..\..\
                          with my actual UE dir
                          Code:
                          D:\UE_4.20\Engine\
                          Last edited by KWS; 08-28-2018, 10:38 AM.

Comment

This bug was fixed in 4.21.X but it started happening again in 4.22

https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...d-intelli.html

Comment

Any advise how to solve this problem ? I am on 4.22.1 and I see red underlines everywhere !!

Comment

Working...
                              X