Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Applying acceleration rather than add force

Greetings,
    Working on a space simulation game, created some custom functions in C++ to accurately calculated force of gravity with doubles,
    however im applying the force to space crafts using the "add radial force component" in BP, but from what ive read it inputs units in KG/cm2
    this results in having to multiply my final equation by weird amounts in order to get the correct effect,
    Is there a way to have a custom function that can apply set acceleration per second rather than a force

in the image, g= represents acceleration in m/s from the equation

I do not use bp for physx, but AddForce() in c++ has a param to ignore mass

param bAccelChange If true, Force is taken as a change in acceleration instead of a physical force (i.e. mass will have no affect).
    Contacts: Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Chwindor View Post
      I do not use bp for physx, but AddForce() in c++ has a param to ignore mass

param bAccelChange If true, Force is taken as a change in acceleration instead of a physical force (i.e. mass will have no affect).
      yea im using that, but it still seems to apply in terms of kgcm2 rather than adding m/s

Comment

Are you trying to control the velocity directly?Maybe you can try SetPhysicsLinearVelocity()
        You can find more infos about how addforce() work on physx's doc
        Contacts: Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Chwindor View Post
          Are you trying to control the velocity directly?Maybe you can try SetPhysicsLinearVelocity()
          You can find more infos about how addforce() work on physx's doc
          Not in the sense that its altitude must relate to a specific speed, rather the planet is constantly apply a downward acceleration, it dosnt care what you speed is only the distance relates to how strong the gravitational pull is,
          That is a interesting link, i shall have a read ty.

Comment

Originally posted by Rareden View Post
            Greetings,
            Working on a space simulation game, created some custom functions in C++ to accurately calculated force of gravity with doubles,
            however im applying the force to space crafts using the "add radial force component" in BP, but from what ive read it inputs units in KG/cm2
            this results in having to multiply my final equation by weird amounts in order to get the correct effect,
            Is there a way to have a custom function that can apply set acceleration per second rather than a force

in the image, g= represents acceleration in m/s from the equation
            Conversion factor for Force is 100 and for Torque it's 10000. You could add those into a wrapper around your functions that apply force or torque, so that all your math is in SI and only end result is converted.
            Youtube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by BoredEngineer View Post

Conversion factor for Force is 100 and for Torque it's 10000. You could add those into a wrapper around your functions that apply force or torque, so that all your math is in SI and only end result is converted.
              Perfect, thank you

Comment

Working...
              X