Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Component dependency?

Hi All,

I'm trying to wrap my head around components and I have the following scenario:

I have a data structure that I want to share between two components. These two components are optional, but the user can use any combination of them. I'm thinking about having a base component to store the data structure and then have the two optional components be children of that. What I'm thinking about doing in my blueprint is as follows:

Base Component
    |
    --- Optional Component 1
    |
    --- Optional Component 2

The questions I have:
    1. What should the base compoment derive from? It simply just stores data that the optional components can use.
    2. How can I setup a dependency so that the optional components must be a child of the base component?

Am I not thinking about this the Unreal way?

Thanks!

I haven't got around to looking through the code enough to know how UE4's component system works. There are multiple ways of implementing component base programming, each with different quirks.

However, here's a great article about component based programming versus traditional OOP that might be useful reading to you: http://cowboyprogramming.com/2007/01...your-heirachy/

Comment

Originally posted by ShadesOfRain View Post
      I haven't got around to looking through the code enough to know how UE4's component system works. There are multiple ways of implementing component base programming, each with different quirks.

However, here's a great article about component based programming versus traditional OOP that might be useful reading to you: http://cowboyprogramming.com/2007/01...your-heirachy/
      Thanks for the link! Definitely will help me wrap my head around these concepts.

Comment

No problem. Always glad to help.

Comment

Working...
        X