No announcement yet.

c++ 4.17 Transition Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I somehow managed to get a shipping build done and when I click on the exe it starts the process but nothing happens. I have to close it from the task manager. The only bad things I see in the log files are these:

Code:
    LogWindows: LoadLibraryWithSearchPaths failed for file aqProf.dll. GetLastError=0
    LogWindows: LoadLibraryWithSearchPaths failed for file VtuneApi.dll. GetLastError=0
    LogWindows: LoadLibraryWithSearchPaths failed for file VtuneApi32e.dll. GetLastError=0

Comment

Dear Community,

Thank you for the link [MENTION=294220]Jess.Hider[/MENTION]!

Originally posted by kamrann View Post
      Note a number of people have reported having this incredibly annoying bug with compiling projects for 4.17. It seems to be hit and miss, but may be specific to VS 2017.
      Thank you for mentioning this [MENTION=27203]kamrann[/MENTION]!

Sounds like Epic Ben Marsh will be getting us a QFE really soon!

I presume it will go live here when it is ready:
      https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...-Fix-Solutions

Originally posted by TheJamsh View Post
      Just found this one. OPTIONAL_BINDING is no longer valid in Slate syntax.
      Thank you for letting us know [MENTION=155]TheJamsh[/MENTION]!

And thanks for sharing about the new rules regarding plugins

~~~

Sharing together like this really makes these big C++ engine updates a lot more fun!

Rama
      Last edited by Rama; 08-10-2017, 11:29 PM.
      UE4 Marketplace: Melee Weapon Plugin & Compressed Binary Save System Plugin | Rama's C++ AI Jumping Videos | Vertex Snap Editor Plugin

♥ Rama

Comment

Originally posted by Rama View Post
        Sounds like Epic Ben Marsh will be getting us a QFE really soon!
        he dropped it over here yesterday. It didn't really work for me though

Comment

Originally posted by huatson View Post
          Workaround for that :
          1. Delete vs/Binaries/Intermediate/Save folders
          2. Delete Solution File (Not project File), optional delete VC Data File
          3. Right click on Project File and " Generate VS Project Files"
          4. Open New solution file and Rebuild.
          5. Done!
          I done it before but forgot to delete the "Save" folder, now it work, thanks!
          Join the Unreal Engine community on Reddit! | Twitter: @ZioYuri78

Comment

Originally posted by SlimeQ View Post
            he dropped it over here yesterday. It didn't really work for me though
            Thanks for letting me know! I've updated OP, hopefully the QFE itself will be fixed and working soon if not already

Rama
            UE4 Marketplace: Melee Weapon Plugin & Compressed Binary Save System Plugin | Rama's C++ AI Jumping Videos | Vertex Snap Editor Plugin

♥ Rama

Comment

hello, i have update to ue4 4.17.0 and i'm trying to create a new c++ project and i'm getting this error

Code:
              The project could not be compiled. Would you like to open it in Visual Studio?

Running C:/Program Files/Epic Games/UE_4.17/Engine/Binaries/DotNET/UnrealBuildTool.exe test Development Win64 -project="C:/Users/Administrator/Documents/Unreal Projects/test/test.uproject" -editorrecompile -progress -NoHotReloadFromIDE
              ERROR: Multiple configurations specified on command line (first Test, then Development)
              i have visual studio community 2017 installed and updated, also i have the windows 8.1 sdk installed on my machine.

any ideas how to fix this ?

thanks in advance for all the help.
              Last edited by enzoravo; 08-13-2017, 09:46 PM.
              http://www.enzoravo.com

Comment

more info about my issue, i saw the first post of this thread where Rama said that ue4 4.17 needs visual studio 2015 update 3 to compile projects.

i have installed de visual studio 2015 with update 3 (community version) and tried to create a new c++ third person project, but i'm receiving the same message

Code:

Running C:/Program Files/Epic Games/UE_4.17/Engine/Binaries/DotNET/UnrealBuildTool.exe test Development Win64 -project="C:/Users/Administrator/Documents/Unreal Projects/test/test.uproject" -editorrecompile -progress -NoHotReloadFromIDE
                ERROR: Multiple configurations specified on command line (first Test, then Development)
                any ideas will be very useful, thanks in advance for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by enzoravo View Post
                  Code:

any ideas will be very useful, thanks in advance for the help.
                  You set your project name to test but UBT is taking it as a Solution Configuration (because UBT includes a configuration called Test). Rename the project to testproject or something else and it should work.
                  Support my RTS Game (Agora) on Patreon!
                  Unreal Nexus - Create Share and Experience!
                  Unreal Engine 4 World-Wide User Map

[PLUGIN] Aws Gamelift Client Plugin
                  [TOOL] Create your own binary release of UE4 from GitHub source
                  My UE4 Tutorials and Misc Tools

Lead Programmer at YetiTech Studios
                  Your Friendly Neighborhood
                  Satheesh PV (a.k.a RyanJon2040) | Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, Google+

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjon2040 View Post
                    You set your project name to test but UBT is taking it as a Solution Configuration (because UBT includes a configuration called Test). Rename the project to testproject or something else and it should work.
                    thank you very much, that worked just fine!

Comment

My project is working fine in the editor, but I still can't get a package to run. When I click on the game, the process starts but nothing comes up. The log ends here:

Code:
                      [2017.08.14-14.53.56:350][  0]LogPakFile: New pak file ../../../ProxyWarVR/Content/Paks/ProxyWarVR-WindowsNoEditor.pak added to pak precacher.
                      [2017.08.14-14.53.56:489][  0]LogInit: Selected Device Profile: [WindowsNoEditor]
                      [2017.08.14-14.53.56:703][  0]LogContentStreaming: Texture pool size is 1000.00 MB
                      And when attaching the debugger I can see that the main thread ALWAYS stops at a line containing
                      Code:
                      CreateDefaultSubobject<UWidgetComponent>()
                      In fact, looking at the call stack... Click image for larger version

Name:	UWidgetComponent_callstack.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	1132418

it is stopping on TWO of these lines (in my character and in my menu actor). Both of these lines are CreateDefaultSubobject<UWidgetComponent>.

Looking at the threads, there seems to be a CrashReportingThread running but no crash reporter is ever shown.

I've tried packaging a basic FPS template with a test actor containing a UWidgetComponent and it worked fine, so I'm sort of at a loss here. This appears to be unique to my project.

UPDATE I removed the UWidgetComponent as a subobject from my character and now it works fine. I am still able to have a widget in my "Tablet" class, however. This one is pretty baffling
                      Last edited by SlimeQ; 08-14-2017, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rama View Post
                        VS 2017 support started in UE 4.14.

You still need VS2015 update 3 even if you want to use VS 2017, at least that was my experience when I tried compiling in 2017

If anyone discovers otherwise let me know

Rama
                        I have never installed VS 2015, so it's not required

Comment

Originally posted by kamrann View Post
                          UHT is stricter in 4.17, you may have to fix up some issues with incompatible specifiers that it previously let slide.

One requirement is that USTRUCTs with Blueprint-accessible UPROPERTYs are themselves marked as BlueprintType.
                          How can I expose the Engine native structures like FBoneReference now? It's USTRUCT(), not USTRUCT(BlueprintType)

Can you advise me something please?

Comment

Originally posted by RoadStar View Post
                            How can I expose the Engine native structures like FBoneReference now? It's USTRUCT(), not USTRUCT(BlueprintType)
                            Without modifying the engine, you can't. If it was not marked as BlueprintType then it was never intended to be used in blueprints, even if it might have previously been possible to do so.

Note that BlueprintType is specifically for use in blueprint graphs; distinct from exposing something to the details panel of a blueprint, which can be done with any USTRUCT.

Comment

I while ago I created an inventory following this tutorial. Upgrading to 4.16 went just fine. Now I am having troubles with my inventory on 4.17 and I don't know how to fix them. Everything is set up like in the tutorial but the Construct Event of the UI_Inventory widget is never called. First time I try to open the inventory the game knows that the inventory was not yet created and attemps to create it. The create widget function does not fail. It runs through and adds the inventory placeholder to the screen. But during the create widget function the Construct Event of the widget to be created is never executed.

How can I fix this? Thanks in advance!

Comment

Working...
                              X