No announcement yet.

Using ConstructorHelper for creating widgets freezes the editor at 72% loading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using ConstructorHelper for creating widgets freezes the editor at 72% loading

I am facing a weird issue. Here is a portion of my code. I have debugged and confirmed this is the part that is causing the problem. Removing it works fine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cML79SS.png
Views:	1
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	1224414

Basically i am using
    Code:
    ConstructorHelpers
    for getting User Widget Blueprint. But for some unknown reason, in some cases it works in some cases the editor simply freezes at 72% loading. I decided to check if
    Code:
    GEngine
    is valid or not, which make it work perfectly fine no issues or errors. It works in editor, standalone.

The problem however occurs when i package the game. Packaging went smoothly no issues, errors in output window. But the game simply crashes. Throws this issue:

Name:	F8Kke4o.png
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	1224415

Here is the answerhub question:
    https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...crement-1.html

Is it a bug? or am i doing something wrong?

Also i know i can use
    Code:
    TSubClassOf<>

Name:	3vx4edI.png
Size:	4.6 KB
ID:	1224416
    and then select the widget from the dropdown in the detail panel. Which works but the biggest drawback is whenever i make some changes to the class i need to re-select the class from the dropdown AGAIN! Instead i hard coded the referance paths and using
    Code:
    ConstructorHelpers
    for that purpose.
    AAA quality menu system for your UE4 project. Get from Marketplace

I had a similar problem with Widgets hanging but i could not find any solution to it. So I just moved it out of the constructor and now everything works fine.
    Putting it in property like you did last is the way I solve most of the preselection of assets.

Comment

Yeah i also moved everything out of constructor and it works fine. Seems like a bug. I posted on answerhub but no response

Comment

Epic confirms this as a bug. Here is the bug report in case anyone is facing the same issue:
        https://issues.unrealengine.com/issue/UE-46610

Comment

Originally posted by Grot13
          I know it is an old topic but how to know if I'm using G engine or constructor helper and to disable it? I can package successfully (with almost 291 warnings) but the exe crashes on startup with a message about assertion failed and I have no clue on what to do, I hope it is not c++ related (but I'm afraid it is)
          If you have 291 warnings, it's time to clean up your house, as one might say.

Comment

Originally posted by Grot13
            Lol I know but it is a lot of same errors and most of them are really abstract. I try to google for them but no luck. Some errors are just dumb, example it doesn't find a game mode whereas the game mode is present
            It's hard to debug things without a log. Can you copy the last few lines of the log when it crashes?
            Able Ability System - A high performance, robust ability system for UE4. Now Available!

Comment

Working...
            X