No announcement yet.

Player Index on MultiPlayer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So a tip - check out the Blueprint Networking Tutorials and pay particular attention to the RepNotify part of the tutorials. It's perfect for doing things where some server gameplay thing has to notify a client to show a client-side effect/whatever.
    Storyteller - An immersive VR audiobook player

Dungeon Survival - WIP First person dungeon crawler with a focus on survival and environmental gameplay ala roguelikes

Comment

Originally posted by Scienziatogm View Post
      It works. Thanks!
      No problem.

One thing that you should look out for is network authority. If I am not mistaken the blueprint you are using is some kind of pickup item. After checking for the overlap you might want to put a "Switch has authority" node there. This ensures that the server calculates who gets the pickup and what effects are applied. If you do not take care of the authority, it will make your game vulnerable to hackers and cheaters.
      Like n00854180t has mentioned, you should give the networking tutorial videos a shot. They are amazing and show you exactly how to set most common things up and what you have to look out for.

Comment

Originally posted by n00854180t View Post
        So a tip - check out the Blueprint Networking Tutorials and pay particular attention to the RepNotify part of the tutorials. It's perfect for doing things where some server gameplay thing has to notify a client to show a client-side effect/whatever.
        Originally posted by Fuchs View Post
        No problem.

One thing that you should look out for is network authority. If I am not mistaken the blueprint you are using is some kind of pickup item. After checking for the overlap you might want to put a "Switch has authority" node there. This ensures that the server calculates who gets the pickup and what effects are applied. If you do not take care of the authority, it will make your game vulnerable to hackers and cheaters.
        Like n00854180t has mentioned, you should give the networking tutorial videos a shot. They are amazing and show you exactly how to set most common things up and what you have to look out for.
        Thanks for the suggestion!
        Last edited by Scienziatogm; 07-15-2014, 01:06 PM.
        Unreal Engine 4 C++ Programmer

My projects:
        Ultimate Arena FPS

Our Discord Server:
        Ultimate Arena FPS Discord

Comment

Is this correct?

My projects:
          Ultimate Arena FPS

Our Discord Server:

Comment

You have to use the authority pin, otherwise the client still has control over the execution. Do yourself a favor and watch the networking tutorial videos carefully. Everything you need is very well explained there.

Comment

You have to use the authority pin, otherwise the client still has control over the execution. Do yourself a favor and watch the networking tutorial videos carefully. Everything you need is very well explained there.
              If I use the Authority pin, I can't take the pickup.

My projects:
              Ultimate Arena FPS

Our Discord Server:

Comment

Did you replicate all the variables properly? The setup works fine for me with the switch has authority node.

Comment

Did you replicate all the variables properly? The setup works fine for me with the switch has authority node.
                  Yes. I replicated all variables.

My projects:
                  Ultimate Arena FPS

Our Discord Server:

Comment

Now I've seen that it works only on the server, so only the server can take the pickup.

My projects:
                    Ultimate Arena FPS

Our Discord Server:

Comment

How could you physically set this up. I am not seeings a "GetAllObjectOfClass" Player controller

Comment

Working...
                      X