Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change Actor display name/label from Blueprint

Hi guys,
    I thought this would be pretty straightforward but so far, the only way that I found to do that is in c++.

I need to change the Actor's label (the name you see in the World Outliner) when I change something in the Blueprint.

Is there any way to do that with Blueprints?

Thanks!
    Stephane Roncada
    Lead Technical Artist | Environment Artist
    Rainbow Studios

Is this for some in-editor only functionality? Because you shouldn't use the actor name at runtime since it's not reliable.

This kind of functionality is most likely only possible in C++ since it's a pretty uncommon case, but there is a cheap plugin that might do what you're looking for via Blueprint:

https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp...-renaming-tool

Comment

Originally posted by JParent View Post
      Is this for some in-editor only functionality? Because you shouldn't use the actor name at runtime since it's not reliable.

This kind of functionality is most likely only possible in C++ since it's a pretty uncommon case, but there is a cheap plugin that might do what you're looking for via Blueprint:

https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp...-renaming-tool
      Yes, it is just for in-editor only, for organization purposes. For example, I would like to rename each Actor to a specific name, and move them to a specific folder within the World Outliner, dynamically through blueprints.

I'll look into the plugin you linked to, thanks for your help!
      Stephane Roncada
      Lead Technical Artist | Environment Artist
      Rainbow Studios

Comment

In case anyone ever sees this. You're looking for "SetActorLabel()" to change the name in the World Outliner panel.
        Code:
          //Remane obj + in editor
        FString displayName = "ObjectName" + FString::FromInt(MyIndex);
        MyActor->Rename(*displayName);
        MyActor->SetActorLabel(*displayName);

Comment

Thx! I was looking for that for a long time!

Comment

Working...
          X