How to network character respawn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to network character respawn?

So I have the following Blueprint, which works great single player. I haven't tested it in multiplayer, but I'm going through and fixing everything else in my project to work multi, and I know this part is not going to work properly.

I'm familiar with BP networking concepts, I'm just wondering which parts need to be split off for the client.

Click image for larger version

Name:	jSHniNz.png
Views:	1
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	1136383
    Storyteller - An immersive VR audiobook player

Dungeon Survival - WIP First person dungeon crawler with a focus on survival and environmental gameplay ala roguelikes

While that looks like it should work, event destroyed should be an event fired by the server, not on the player character. There's a decent write up on the wiki for respawn: https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Bluepr...player_Respawn

Comment

That answers what I needed to know quite nicely (passing the controller along).

Thank you very much
      Storyteller - An immersive VR audiobook player

Dungeon Survival - WIP First person dungeon crawler with a focus on survival and environmental gameplay ala roguelikes

Comment

No problem!

It wasn't until I came to multiplayer respawning that I got the jist of splitting character, from player controller - now it makes a ton of sense. Good luck!

Comment

I think I've implemented the respawn correctly but I believe I'm destroying my pawn incorrectly. I've run into an issues where the client's connection is occasionally dropped when destroying the pawn / detaching the player controller. I created an answer hub question here, in case anyone has insight: https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...no-object.html
          Work in Progress: King of Kalimpong
          piinecone.com | youtube | @p11necone

Comment

Working...
          X