Saving Data Without Allowing Cheating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saving Data Without Allowing Cheating

Okay, so I'm going to preface this by saying I'm not entirely sure if this is the best section for this post, but I believe it fits. Sorry in advance if it doesn't.

So, my first question is with regards to saving data locally. How resistant is this to a player trying to edit files manually? Is there a way to encrypt the save files or would that be more work than its worth? If this is do-able is it possible to do from Blueprint or would I have to adventure into C++ to accomplish this goal?

This leads into my second set of questions. If this isn't possible would it require me to setup a centralized server with a database to store this type of information? If this is the case, do blueprint nodes exist which can remotely query databases or would this also require diving into some C++?

My last question is with regards to Steam. The game I am working on will rely on Steam. It's a multiplayer only game and so that makes sense to me. However, I know with Steamworks games are allowed to save some data to the cloud. To the best of my knowledge this is only if you are Greenlit/paid the fee, but if that were to happen, is this a viable place to store save data? As with my other two sets of questions, would this require me to delve into C++?

The type of data I would want to save is player xp, player levels, player balance etc. These are values which in a Multiplayer scenario I really don't want people to alter themselves. As well, it would be nice if I could query databases to view information about other players.

I have no problem with diving into C++ or database languages if I have to as I have extensive experience with them; however, I have been learning Unreal in blueprint only because its much easier to get accustomed to what it has to offer that way, in my opinion.

Thanks in advance,
    Shawn
    The guy that makes the wheels turn..

Take a read here

https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...i-Cheat-System
    | Savior | USQLite | FSM | Object Pool | Sound Occlusion | Property Transfer | Magic Nodes | MORE |

Comment

That's a very interesting plugin. I'm certainly intrigued by it. You mentioned in your write up on the page that multiplayer should be working, but you aren't 100% sure, do you happen to have an ETA on when you will have that code finished?

You also seem to have a pretty good handle on UE, so I was wondering if you knew a decent RESTful API plugin?

Thanks again!

Comment

There's VaREST in Marketpalce, free too.

I have implemented the anti-cheat tools in a Moba; it worked, but I have not tested by myself *all* multiplayer cases because there's too many different scenarios in this area.
        | Savior | USQLite | FSM | Object Pool | Sound Occlusion | Property Transfer | Magic Nodes | MORE |

Comment

Originally posted by BrUnO XaVIeR View Post
          There's VaREST in Marketpalce, free too.

I have implemented the anti-cheat tools in a Moba; it worked, but I have not tested by myself *all* multiplayer cases because there's too many different scenarios in this area.
          Fair enough! That sounds great sir, thank you very much for your advice/help!

Comment

Working...
          X