Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Attaching a Character to Player Start, How?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Attaching a Character to Player Start, How?

    If you open Content Examples then open the "Network Features" map, you will see four "Default Player Start" actors. When starting the level the "PlayerCharacter_Network" is attached to one of the PlayerStart. How does the game know to attach the character "PlayerCharacter_Network" to the PlayerStart actor? How can I modify this to attach other characters?
    Eldridge Felder

    Animation/Visualization Manager
    WorthGroup Architects

    #2
    Well there's two possible interpretations here.

    1. How do I change the class that spawns when I hit play?

    and

    2. How do I override the logic the controls which players are spawned at which player start?

    So
    1. This is in the game mode and can be changed from the blueprints menu in-editor.


    2. This is in the game mode and you'll have to override a function called "ChoosePlayerStart".

    Not my picture
    Attached Files
    They broke the signatures so I removed mine thinking it'd be awhile. The signatures work again, but I haven't redone my signature yet.

    Comment


      #3
      Hey thanks for this!

      Question, if I wanted let's say, PlayerCharacter1 to Spawn on PlayerStart1, and PlayerCharacter2 to spawn on PlayerStart2, I would have to use your second method right? It appears your first option with changing the Blueprint > Gamemode > Pawn option is a global effect. Multiple Default Player Starts will all use the same Character model with your first option, is that accurate?
      Eldridge Felder

      Animation/Visualization Manager
      WorthGroup Architects

      Comment


        #4
        Afaik you can also place your character as an actor into the world and assign different Players to them.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Raildex_ View Post
          Afaik you can also place your character as an actor into the world and assign different Players to them.
          I was looking for an option to do so, but not sure how to assign different Players to them. Also, the number 2 example above with the nodes starting with "Choose Player Start", where is this blueprint? In the Controller? Character? Level Blueprint?

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Teriander View Post
            Hey thanks for this!

            Question, if I wanted let's say, PlayerCharacter1 to Spawn on PlayerStart1, and PlayerCharacter2 to spawn on PlayerStart2, I would have to use your second method right? It appears your first option with changing the Blueprint > Gamemode > Pawn option is a global effect. Multiple Default Player Starts will all use the same Character model with your first option, is that accurate?
            Yeah, so this screenshot is older than what exists in the new versions of UE4. You'll get access to a player controller here, but by default this function happens well before you have a chance to pick a character, unless you'd done so in a menu before this map opened and supplied that choice to the game instance. Anyway, it will be possible to spawn particular characters in particular places, but you'll want to tag your player starts in-editor for easier filtering.
            They broke the signatures so I removed mine thinking it'd be awhile. The signatures work again, but I haven't redone my signature yet.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by EFelder View Post
              I was looking for an option to do so, but not sure how to assign different Players to them. Also, the number 2 example above with the nodes starting with "Choose Player Start", where is this blueprint? In the Controller? Character? Level Blueprint?
              So I literally say it's in the game mode. You'll have to create a gamemode to override this, either in C++ or BP.
              They broke the signatures so I removed mine thinking it'd be awhile. The signatures work again, but I haven't redone my signature yet.

              Comment


                #8
                I've been editing for months but mostly terrain now some bp's, but somehow embarrassingly, I no longer have a visible 'character' ( default blue animated char.) when I use play from here.

                It works, camera runs along ground, but no visible character , and if I tilt camera and press backarrow cursor key as if to go backwards, the player goes up in the air, wow.

                What did I inadvertently do and how do I get things back to normal.

                I've not needed to delve into these things obviously till now , and I've bing'd for an hour now finding various answers. pages but nothing is helping at all.

                ty
                Solo but Seismic - feel free to apply
                https://neighborlee1.wixsite.com/theheartseed

                Comment


                  #9
                  Hey,I have the same problem.
                  I downloaded "Shooter Game" and while I was creting the map I changed something and now when I hit play I just floar around and I don't control the player unless I click in the player and "launch from here".
                  How do I solve this?
                  Thanks

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by KorkuVeren View Post

                    So I literally say it's in the game mode. You'll have to create a gamemode to override this, either in C++ or BP.
                    game mode has no player start option in 4.18 afaik

                    Comment


                      #11
                      What if I had 8 Players (Selected from a election screen) and 8 player starts, how would I designate a PlayerStart for each player ?
                      Cecil B

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by PerfsPC View Post
                        What if I had 8 Players (Selected from a election screen) and 8 player starts, how would I designate a PlayerStart for each player ?
                        What I've done is that I've made a custom Actor as a spawnable point. Each spawn holds a few variables, out of which "Team" and "Locked" stand out.

                        When a player joins, I run through all spawns and check if:

                        1. The team is correct (you don't want to spawn a team 1 player into a team 2 spawn)
                        2. The spawn is locked (locked in this context means that a player has already been spawned in that spawn zone)

                        If these conditions are met, you spawn the player. If not, keep looking for an unlocked spawn that corresponds to the player's team.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by AlexGorcea View Post

                          What I've done is that I've made a custom Actor as a spawnable point. Each spawn holds a few variables, out of which "Team" and "Locked" stand out.

                          When a player joins, I run through all spawns and check if:

                          1. The team is correct (you don't want to spawn a team 1 player into a team 2 spawn)
                          2. The spawn is locked (locked in this context means that a player has already been spawned in that spawn zone)

                          If these conditions are met, you spawn the player. If not, keep looking for an unlocked spawn that corresponds to the player's team.
                          Have you an examples you could share with this Alex ?
                          Cecil B

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X