Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Create a rolling ball controller (top-down like "Waves")? Example included.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how are you guys setting the mass of your meshes? , I was going to say ballz but it got censored, I was just wondering if I'm doing it the same way as you.

Originally posted by Saeris View Post
    Make sure that the Ball and the Camera Target are both children under the same parent. That's an easy part to mess up because the sorting for that kind of thing can be tricky.
    I didn't need to add an arrow as the camera target, might be an unnecessary step, I just made the spring arm a child of the mesh and it worked fine.

Comment

Originally posted by smokey13 View Post
      how are you guys setting the mass of your meshes? , I was going to say ballz but it got censored, I was just wondering if I'm doing it the same way as you.

I didn't need to add an arrow as the camera target, might be an unnecessary step, I just made the spring arm a child of the mesh and it worked fine.

how so ?
      is the camera bumping in a crazy way or rotating around the mesh ?
      if not, would you mind post your blueprint component setup ?

Comment

Originally posted by HoOz View Post
        is the camera bumping in a crazy way or rotating around the mesh ?
        see for yourself.

the ball movement doesn't look smooth because I recorded at 200 FPS and converted to 50 FPS, it actually moves perfectly smooth.

I think the reason your cam is acting like that (looking at your component setup above) is because you changed the position of the springarm (that's what happened to me to), make sure the springarm position is right at the centre of your mesh (like in the pic below) and change the offset of the cam in the camera component settings instead.

if not, would you mind post your blueprint component setup ?
        ok

hope it helps

just out of curiosity can you tell me how your setting the mass of your ball?

--edit--

a little side note: my ball is a physics actor so I don't know if you will need the camera target or not but what I said about the springarm should (fingers crossed) fix your problem (if you haven't already fixed it), you might also need to change the Z offset of your base component so the centre of your mesh is on the grid like mine.
        Last edited by smokey13; 04-08-2014, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesG View Post
          Check out something like the third person template, but replace the 'add movement input' nodes with 'add force' nodes!

I really want to build a 'physics ball' template for next release
          that would be awesome..
          *edit* I got a perfect Force Driven ball now.... However I can't get the camera to stop bouncing It appears it is spinning with the ball just slightly. producing a bounce.
          anyone?
          Last edited by Enlikil; 04-18-2014, 01:36 AM.

Comment

Ok.... I can't figure out why my ball camera is bouncing.. I have tried everything I can think of. What does the Target do? It seems that when i'm moving it bounces... My Class tree is Root->Mesh->spring arm -> camera all nested perfectly.. yet my camera is wacko..... My force control is pretty sweet though.

Comment

read my last post above, doing what I said before should fix your camera bounce issue.

Comment

I will give it a shot.... again... it is like it isn't completely centered with it, but I don't know how to ensure i'm totally centered. other then what i'm doing and resetting it...
                Does the Root Mesh (sphere ) need to be the same size as my ball? I am struggling to line them up, my Sphere mesh is off like 50 on the Z axis as my root mesh.
                I think my camera bounce is 100% from not being centered as its trying to spin around with the ball ever so slightly but I can't seem to align them no matter what? any tips

well another update: My ball does not bounce left and right Only when I move forward or backward... ugg
                Last edited by Enlikil; 04-18-2014, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HoOz View Post
                  ys, both of them are unchecked
                  On mine If I don't have "use Controller view rotation" checked on the spring arm It spins the entire world.

Comment

Here is a new Problem I wonder if any of you have encountered.
                    While using the phsyics actor as your player, have you tried adding a Moveable floor? I tried with the 400x400 architecture floor, made a simple mantiee with it and I just go right through it..
                    Im totally lost.. a NORMAL player character doesn't seem to have any issue. just my physics actor ball

Comment

Hello there, I'm having severe problems with my attempts to create this, for some reason if I enable gravity and the simulate physics on the mesh, the mesh itself will disappear, but if I remove the sphere collision that is at the top of the stack in the components, the mesh will appear and fall, but it will obviously not collide with anything despite the fact that the static mesh has sphere collider in the static meshes settings. I have tried setting an empty static mesh at the top of the component stack as well but that has the same results.

Comment

I had actually forgot about this thread and the ball game I was making.

anyway I just checked to see if my old project still worked and it did so I had a look at my components and I found I cant turn simulate physics on for the mesh, I can only turn it on for the root sphere. also my mesh has no collision, all the collision and physics stuff is applied to the sphere and the mesh just moves with the sphere because its a child of it.

Comment

maybe this can help you
                          https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...g-Character-BP
                          Website [ LINK ]
                          Twitter [ LINK ]
                          Support ! [ LINK ]

Comment

Alright so silly me didn't set the collision properties of the mesh to a physics actor, that was my only issue, now it works fairly well.

Also thanks Mhousse1247 but that is sorta not the effect I was looking for..

Comment

Originally posted by darkpivot View Post
                              I think I just figured it out. I'm using Saeris' blueprint from page 2 of this thread, except it basically cuts off at add impulse. I set the strength to 5000 and then changed the physical property of the ball in the component menu, it's actually fairly simple.

In the components of the blueprint, just go to Physics and click the little arrow, which un-tabs more options.

Then change the Angular Dampening to 0, and the Linear Dampening to 5.5 (numbers will vary depending on your setup obviously).

My results are almost perfect from this now.

Edit: Video of the results.

I'd like to know how you acheived this, i'm trying to make a simple pawn inheriting from pawn to move...it doesen't move. If i make a pawn inheriting from default pawn it flies and has strange behaviour. What class is that ball, inherting from which class? Thanks for reply

Comment

Working...
                              X