Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[VIDEO] (NEW UPDATE #2!) RTS (Real-Time Strategy) Example using Blueprints only.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[VIDEO] (NEW UPDATE #2!) RTS (Real-Time Strategy) Example using Blueprints only.

For the last couple of days i was trying to build a basic RTS game using only Blueprints and so far the result seems good (i think) although lot more work needs to be done.

Features:
    • Camera movement with panning and zooming
    • Building structures that can spawn units
    • Player can select newly created units and control them

New Features in update #2:
    • Multiple units (civilian and fighter)
    • Muliple buildings that can spawn each unit
    • Building construction now takes 12 seconds to complete.
    • Updated characters (From Epic's Strategy Game Example)
    • Various sounds (From Epic's Strategy Game Example)

EDIT 2: Uploaded new video.
    EDIT: Special Thanks to Angel Venkov and Rama, i have received a License for Coherent-UI. New update on HUD will be available.

Update #2:

Old Videos:
    First Video
    Last edited by ryanjon2040; 06-27-2014, 12:36 PM. Reason: Posted Update #2 video
    Support my RTS Game (Agora) on Patreon!
    Unreal Nexus - Create Share and Experience!
    Unreal Engine 4 World-Wide User Map

[PLUGIN] Aws Gamelift Client Plugin
    [TOOL] Create your own binary release of UE4 from GitHub source
    My UE4 Tutorials and Misc Tools

Lead Programmer at YetiTech Studios
    Your Friendly Neighborhood
    Satheesh PV (a.k.a RyanJon2040) | Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, Google+

nice begin. HUD ins't hard, for me was a little confusing on begin but after that all go fine.

And that type of game need too much work on HUD
    pd: excuse my english.

lfw/paid modeling, painting, texturing.

Comment

very nice, are you going to have a shroud that disappears as you move to new areas?

Comment

Wow! looking promising! Can't wait to see where this goes. Good job!

Comment

wow really awesome Ryan Jon!

Quite the testimony of what can be done with Blueprints, and fast too!

Rama
          UE4 Marketplace: Melee Weapon Plugin & Compressed Binary Save System Plugin | Rama's C++ AI Jumping Videos | Vertex Snap Editor Plugin

♥ Rama

Comment

Sweet! Plan on making any tutorials for some of the cool stuff ya managed to do there? Hope So!

Comment

How do you do the wireframe thing?
              Easy weapons in Unreal Engine 4:
              Check out Realistic Blueprint Weapons

Currently doing a tutorial series on Vectors and what they are good for.
              Please visit Unreal Unscripted

Comment

Originally posted by knack View Post
                nice begin. HUD ins't hard, for me was a little confusing on begin but after that all go fine.

And that type of game need too much work on HUD
                Hi knack...Creating canvas HUD for this type can be a very time consuming task. Even back in UDK, I personally never liked Canvas to use with HUD so thats why i always stick with Scaleform.

Originally posted by smokey13 View Post
                very nice, are you going to have a shroud that disappears as you move to new areas?
                Hi smokey13...Pardon me, but i dont understand what you mean.

Originally posted by Superxcm View Post
                Wow! looking promising! Can't wait to see where this goes. Good job!
                Thanks a lot Superxcm.

Originally posted by Rama View Post
                wow really awesome Ryan Jon!

Quite the testimony of what can be done with Blueprints, and fast too!

Rama
                Great to hear from you Rama! Blueprint is indeed very powerful. But i have to say...HUD is still a huge problem for me. I see Coherent-UI as an alternative to Scaleform (maybe even better than that).

Originally posted by Mixitman View Post
                Sweet! Plan on making any tutorials for some of the cool stuff ya managed to do there? Hope So!
                Hi Mixitman...I plan to release this whole project to the public. Need to figure out a couple other things and clean it up a bit. I dont have any sounds though.

Originally posted by Rasped View Post
                How do you do the wireframe thing?
                Hi Rasped...Thats not wireframe. Its a translucent (unlit) material with white color connected to Emissive and 0.3 opacity.

Satheesh PV (a.k.a RyanJon2040) | Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, Google+

Comment

aha, don't known that, very much compare the other methods? i do my HUD in canvas... anyway its better that than get stuck waiting.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjon2040 View Post
                    Hi smokey13...Pardon me, but i dont understand what you mean.
                    I mean the black stuff that covers the map/level and disappears as you move around, I cant remember the proper name but its called shroud in command and conquer

Comment

I believe smokey13 is referring to the "Fog of War" that you usually see in RTS.

Comment

sure, and that i think a HUD think no?

Comment

This looks great. Any update on this project? I'd love to see how you are accomplishing the circles under selected units effect.
                          Check out my weekly dev blog: The Undead Dev

Comment

Originally posted by smokey13 View Post
                            I mean the black stuff that covers the map/level and disappears as you move around, I cant remember the proper name but its called shroud in command and conquer
                            Ahh yes..Its the Fog Of War. I do have plans for it. Must figure out a proper way.

Originally posted by JimmothySanchez View Post
                            This looks great. Any update on this project? I'd love to see how you are accomplishing the circles under selected units effect.
                            A new update on HUD will be available soon. I have received license for Coherent-UI and that is what am going to use. Right now there is some limitation in Coherent-UI and Blueprint but they will improve it in next version. I want this RTS Example to be purely Blueprints only. I dont want to include any C++ codes in this project.

The circle under selected unit is a decal (Although the circle surrounding the building is a sphere with DepthAlpha material). I have a Decal component in my character class and upon mouse click (in controller class) i cast the Hit Actor to My Character. If it is valid then toggle the visibility of Decal.

Comment

In the future, it would be possible to post pictures or a video tutorial, you created the blueprint?
                              I thought all the amazing effects and interactions, enjoyed, and would like to know a little, as they were made.
                              [Compatibility List] Unreal 4 - Hardware Feedback (Leave your feedback on how the Unreal runs on your computer)

Comment

Working...
                              X