Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to allow players to add custom maps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to allow players to add custom maps?

For my game, I would like to allow my players to build and include custom maps.

I haven't started experimenting yet with how it can be implemented, but could somebody give me any pointers before I get in to it?

I'm thinking of created a content package that has all my assets I want to make available for them. They then use UE4 to create a map and then save the map in a custom maps folder of the main games directory.

Inside the game, I would need some way to search for umap files in that custom maps folder they are going to live.

Will this actually work? Can a UE4 game even reference and use a map that was created somewhere else, provided it's using the same assets? Or will they need to do some kind of build/packaging?

Any other obstacles you can point out? I imagine once I've got the basic system in place, I would need to do some validation checks to make sure the map is actually valid for the game.

I'm also a C++ programmer, so I'll likely have a go at both a C++ and a Blueprint implementation or a combination of both, and see which one works out best.

Thanks
    Ginger Beard Gaming Studios
    Ginger Beard Gaming Studios Website
    Facebook Page
    Art Station Profile
    Unreal Marketplace Products
    Itch Games Page
Working...
X