Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Load Game from Slot is reading wrong file?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Load Game from Slot is reading wrong file?

Hey everyone!

Currently in 4.8.3 But I have tested it in 4.10 preview 2 as well.

Everything works perfectly in PIE and after packaging the game for Win64 when saving the game using Save Game to Slot it saves in the correct place. C://Users/User_Name/AppData/Local/App_Name. But when using the Load Game from Slot node to retrieve those variables it reads the old .sav files that are in the editor directory on my D: drive. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

tl;dr: Load Game from Slot isn't loading .savs from the right place.
    Last edited by HaxO; 10-30-2015, 04:03 PM.

Sorry to bump. This is still giving me trouble. Recently discovered that when I Load Game from Slot in the level blueprint it loads the right one. But when it is loaded from an actor blueprint it loads the editor .sav.

Comment

The build configuration changes where saves are saved, shipping or development, which are using, and does changing affect anything?
      Also, can you post the bluprint where you are saving?

Comment

As Mosel3y said, only Shipping mode writes/reads file from AppData folder.
        | Savior | USQLite | FSM | Object Pool | Sound Occlusion | Property Transfer | Magic Nodes | MORE |

Comment

I am using a Shipping build in this situation. I was thinking over the weekend maybe it came up since I have been working on this project since 4.2 and it is now on 4.8. Perhaps older shipping versions used the same folder structure as the dev builds and something got left behind along the way?
          Last edited by HaxO; 11-02-2015, 10:30 AM.

Comment

What happens if you remove the old saves, it just doesn't load anything?

Comment

Yes sir, that is exactly what happens. Will post a blueprint screenshot shortly. Building atm.
              Last edited by HaxO; 11-02-2015, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Alright, here we go. Since it is kind of hard to see, the target of Save Game to Slot is being sent from the Set SavedInformationActor node. All of these are in one actor.

http://imgur.com/fnI6xuW

http://imgur.com/NigZiss

http://imgur.com/UGfR9TZ

The links are included for larger versions.
                Last edited by HaxO; 11-02-2015, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Doesn't look like anything too strange there.. but DoesSaveGameExist must be looking in the wrong place too?

It is pretty weird. I guess it could have something to do with changing engine versions as you said, there is some comments in GameplayStatics on workaround for "crash loading a pre-4.8 version of your savegame file".
                  Is it possible for you to migrate this blueprint to a new 4.8 projects and see if it works right then?

Comment

Going give that a shot! Will update with results.

Comment

After migrating the SavedInformation Actor and all the other blueprints required for the system to work correctly to a new 4.8.3 project: Shipping build is still writing to C://*******/App_Name and reading from D://********/AppName. I can upload the recreation if you guys would like.

Comment

That is very strange... sure, I'd like to take a look if you upload it

Comment

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5wrmalm4qc...sting.zip?dl=0

The options Plaque and Child Life Playroom must be selected in the GUI for this reproduction.

Select the plaque you want and type in what you want it to say in the boxes and then click update to display it in the game. when you click render it should be the same information on the same plaque in the next level (lettering positions may be off in this reproduction also.)
                          Last edited by HaxO; 11-03-2015, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Just had a chance to try this. For me, Shipping and Development builds save to the right locations as expected, and load does not work at all for either. (I'm judging this from the fact my entered text is not used by the the next level). When I play in editor, it works fine save/load. There's definitely something strange happening here, I'll look at it properly again later.

Comment

After you try it in editor and then create a shipping build does it load the editor information onto the plaques?
                              Last edited by HaxO; 11-03-2015, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X