Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Accessing Perlin noise values in Blueprint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accessing Perlin noise values in Blueprint?

I'd like to use Perlin noise to drive a "handheld camera" effect in a Blueprint. How does one go about accessing Perlin noise from within a Blueprint? I know that there is a Noise node in the Material editor that can generate Perlin and other noise types. But I'm at a loss as to how to bring that over and use it in a Blueprint.

I'm new to Unreal Engine so even small details are appreciated!

For your camera effect you can probably use the material to create a volume/mesh either directly in front of the camera or in a localized area that is basically transparent except for the perlin noise effect. Kind of like a fog but you would tailor it to your needs.

Alternatively, if you want to use the perlin noise for non-visual stuff such as map generation, then I think you might be better off looking up Perlin noise formulas/algorithms online and replicating them in blueprint, which is actually easier than you might think.
    Map Generator 1.0
    Map Generator 2.0
    Map Generator 3.0

Comment

Originally posted by Krxtopher View Post
      I'd like to use Perlin noise to drive a "handheld camera" effect in a Blueprint. How does one go about accessing Perlin noise from within a Blueprint? I know that there is a Noise node in the Material editor that can generate Perlin and other noise types. But I'm at a loss as to how to bring that over and use it in a Blueprint.

I'm new to Unreal Engine so even small details are appreciated!
      I don't really think you need perlin noise. You just need random, just interpolate between current position and the target position to make the movement smoother.

I suggest you have 2 variables in your Blueprint, X & Y. Put a clamp on them, limiting them to say +-30(value can't go outside the clamp range).

Then every ... 0.2 seconds or so, you add a random value to X & Y (not the same value).

And on every tick you have you interpolate between the current value and the target value (X & Y).

I hope this makes sense.
      Easy weapons in Unreal Engine 4:
      Check out Realistic Blueprint Weapons

Currently doing a tutorial series on Vectors and what they are good for.
      Please visit Unreal Unscripted

Comment

Oh, I thought he wanted a grainier visual effect. Yeah for camera shakes you probably don't need perlin noise.
        Map Generator 1.0
        Map Generator 2.0
        Map Generator 3.0

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give them a try, although I'm a bit skeptical of the random-with-interpolation approach. In my (limited) past experience Perlin noise tends to lend an organic feel whereas interpolated random values feel more like mechanical vibrations or oscillations. But I'm not going to discount it outright and hope that I'm pleasantly surprised!

If others have suggestions on accessing organic noise in a blueprint keep posting!

Comment

Originally posted by Krxtopher View Post
            Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give them a try, although I'm a bit skeptical of the random-with-interpolation approach. In my (limited) past experience Perlin noise tends to lend an organic feel whereas interpolated random values feel more like mechanical vibrations or oscillations. But I'm not going to discount it outright and hope that I'm pleasantly surprised!

If others have suggestions on accessing organic noise in a blueprint keep posting!
            So, did it work?
            Easy weapons in Unreal Engine 4:
            Check out Realistic Blueprint Weapons

Currently doing a tutorial series on Vectors and what they are good for.
            Please visit Unreal Unscripted

Comment

The randomization approach will work, though it won't give you much control over the noise. Perlin noise would be a much more flexible approach. Unity offer it as part of their math libraries, it's very useful:

http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptRefere...rlinNoise.html
              Lead Gameplay Developer at Space Dust Studios/Varkian Empire (@butterparty)
              Obliteracers: Thread // Blog // @obliteracers // Facebook // Reddit // Steam

Comment

Hi

It is old post but still I want to share link to my Free Simplex Noise Plugin for Unreal Engine 4 . Check it out on this thread:
                https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...-Noise-Version
                *My Free Simplex Noise Plugin For UE4 - Fast version of Perlin Noise Function
                *All Public Functions are BlueprintCallable so they can be used in every blueprint
                *https://github.com/devdad/SimplexNoise

Comment

Working...
                X