Companion ai system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Companion ai system

Okay where to start, i'm still reasonably newish to unreal engine but i've been working on a game for some time now and maybe its just me being completely stupid but basically i'm trying to put together a blueprint system that allows my character to send commands through to his/her companion using some buttons i have created. It has been an extremely tedius task and has left me nearly bald as i've been tearing my hair out over a period of months. Ive tried many combinations and none seem to work. If anyone could give me some possible pointers i would greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks for your time

Tearing you hair out for months? We don't bite here at the forums Could you provide a picture of something you are currently trying? I personally do not know about BP communication, but others can guide you if they see your current setup.
    Marketplace Assets

Advanced Mobile Input: Marketplace Page | Support Thread ――― Easy Input Remapping: Marketplace Page | Support Thread
    Multiplayer Blueprint Chat System: Marketplace Page | Support Thread ――― Closing Credits System: Marketplace Page | Support Thread
    Minesweeper Template: Marketplace Page | Support Thread ――― Maze Creator: Marketplace Page | Support Thread

Comment

Hello,
      You need a reference of your character and your companion to be able to interact with.

An example of a doable system : When you have a new companion, you "set" a reference of the actor (with the generic type of your companion as type (ie you have 3 types of companion swordman magicman bowman all inherited from aicompanion : you use aicompanion as reference) to your umg (you have to create a reference of your widget when you create it) with "get player character / "cast to" your character type (this is your character reference if you need it) / drag a "get companion" from blue output (return value) and use it to "set variable in widget".

In widget, you set your buttons on screen and for each click you will have your actions : a generic one done by all 3 companions (ie moving / guard / attack 1 / attack 2 (one attack is walk to and melee, another is fireball, the last one is shoot an arrow, but they are all attack 1). action 1 / action 2 (open door / cast teleport ). Your actions are custom event / function that you set in your companion. Each time you have to check if "variable in widget" is valid ! With a branch and if not, you do nothing. Then on is valid, you drag from your "variable in widget" the custom event / function.
      You may can change button image depending on companion. Then you need to "cast to" each type of companion and from it change the image to the desired one.
      Last edited by Fen; 05-16-2015, 06:51 AM. Reason: forgot details.

Comment

Haha i'm sure you don't guys i just try to solve the problem myself before asking for help. Don't like it 'being done' for me as such. I shall have another play about with it now that fen has given me some sort of direction. Will up load some photo's shortly and you can laugh and call me a noob, at my failed attempts . Thanks for the help guys. awesome. will keep you posted.

Comment

i know reviving a dead post but does anyone have examples of this?

Comment

Working...
          X