Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(39) Rama's Extra Blueprint Nodes for You as a Plugin, No C++ Required!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CatchPhyre View Post
    Using World Position Offsets, the ice actually morphs away to little droplets. Isn't that modifying a static mesh dynamically at runtime?
    That's done via a material, not modifying the static mesh directly.

For your needs you should examine UE4's material editor to see how you can accomplish your goals using World Position Offset and getting vertex info that way.

The whole idea of a "Static" mesh is that its shape and vert info is not changed at runtime

But you can use the UE4 Material Editor to change the rendering of the mesh, check it out!

Rama
    100+ UE4 C++ Tutorials on the UE4 Code Wiki, including UE4 Multi-Threading!

UE4 Marketplace: Melee Weapon Plugin & Compressed Binary Save System Plugin | Rama's C++ AI Jumping Videos | Vertex Snap Editor Plugin

Visit www.ue4code.com to see lots of videos about my C++ Creations! ♥ Rama

Comment

Victory Re Bindable Key Nodes

Click image for larger version

Name:	VictoryRebindableKeys.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	271.2 KB
ID:	1060701

2 New Nodes

Get All Key Bindings

Rebind Key (Updates during Runtime!)

I've just about 3 hours of research to figure out how I can rebind keys at runtime using UE4's input system! (Project Settings -> Input).

I can now successfully rebind any action mapping I want during runtime, and have it update so the new key is required to trigger the action!

And!

I am giving these nodes and all my research to you so you can make your own UE4 Re-Bindable Key system!

I have tested these nodes as working in a packaged game that was content only, and had with my plugin!

~~~

C++ Source Code

All my C++ source code is in the download!

~~~

Download

Victory Plugin Latest Download
      https://wiki.unrealengine.com/File:VictoryPlugin.zip

Rama

UE4 Marketplace: Melee Weapon Plugin & Compressed Binary Save System Plugin | Rama's C++ AI Jumping Videos | Vertex Snap Editor Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by Rama View Post
        2 New Nodes

Get All Key Bindings

Rebind Key (Updates during Runtime!)
        Yes! Those must be integrated into the engine as default BP nodes.

Thanks a lot Rama, you crazy awesome bearded man!
        FREE VR Drum Kit Project
        FREE Color LUT Collection
        FREE Physics Driven Spacecraft Project
        FREE GTA Style Vehicle Interaction
        Dynamic DoF(Depth of Field)
        Camera Crossfade

Comment

Victory Re Bindable Key Nodes
          Wow this looks extremely useful, thank you Rama!

I lost track of how many nodes are in this but it must be up around 75 now?? As I have said before, this is a must have plugin!
          Free Community Ocean & Sky Project || Join us on Discord! || Trello Roadmap

Comment

Another fantastic tool!
            I can think of some really neat applications for this

-Jeremy-
            Portfolio
            UE3 - Advanced FX Masterclass Part 1 DVD
            UE3 - Advanced FX Masterclass Part 2 DVD

Comment

I had a conversation with one of the Epic Devs about this topic and they said that spawning actors into sublevels is not a recommended workflow, and it is really only ever used in the code base for a small number of things.

I think you need to take a step back and look at why you feel you need to do this, and let me know as well! Cause Epic is basically saying this is not the way you're supposed to do things

The main reason being that an actor spawned into a sublevel directly will get taken out of existence instantly if the sublevel is streamed out.

But again I was told that the pull request for this would not be accepted because it is not a workflow that is even used by Epic for more than a few rare cases.

Rama
              I'm abit new to this part of UE4, I've been focusing on class Blueprints and not Level Blueprints, so I'd like to get a better understanding of what's going on with Spawning Actors in Levels. I should also note that I mainly be doing this with AI characters.

There are two main ways I can see spawning actors in Sub Levels being useful, based on 6+ years of UE3 experience.

Firstly, if you have several people working on a map then it's good to have a _Design level as well as _Static and _Audio levels. This was common work practice among some UE3 devs. The persistent would only hold minimal data.

On a slightly rarer note, it was something I used extensively in UE3. I was working on an open world game which was split into a number of levels, each a cube in size. Sub Levels for each could be named so that they would only appear during particular missions or parts of the story. This gave me greater control of resources over the course of the game (bloody handy on console) but also allowed me to do things like load certain enemies earlier, so that they can be seen at greater distances. Usually due to their position in the world being impossible to hide.

HOWEVER, I would never script the spawning of actors in one level via an action / node in another. An event in the sub level (usually Level Loaded & Visible / Begin Play) because the sub level would also have the behaviour logic and other data for that actor.

So, does the 'Can / should only spawn actors in persistent levels' affect all kinds of actors? Can I get away with doing this already with AI?

and if not, how much work would a Coder have to do to allow me to solve this problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Jacky View Post
                Yes! Those must be integrated into the engine as default BP nodes.

Thanks a lot Rama, you crazy awesome bearded man!
                Hee hee!!

Originally posted by DotCam View Post
                Wow this looks extremely useful, thank you Rama!

I lost track of how many nodes are in this but it must be up around 75 now?? As I have said before, this is a must have plugin!
                Yea something like 70+ now!

Originally posted by JBaldwin View Post
                Another fantastic tool!
                I can think of some really neat applications for this

-Jeremy-
                Great to hear from you Jeremy!

Enjoy my Runtime Rebindable Key Nodes!

Rama

Comment

Name:	ReBindableKeysTitle.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	265.6 KB
ID:	1060749

Full Sample Project For You

Dynamically Re-Bindable Key Menu in UMG!

Dear Community,

I am giving you a full sample project as a download (8mb) where I've created a fully functional UMG Key Rebinding System!

You can click on the name of any key and then simply enter a new one on the keyboard/gamepad (just pressing the button itself that you want to be the new binding!

And I do track ctrl,alt,shift, and command!

And the list is scrollable too!

~~~

Rebind Actions During Runtime

And best of all, because of my Victory BP Library nodes, the changes you make in the Key Rebinding Menu instantly update the ingame character input component!

So if you rebind Jump from spacebar to page up, it takes effect instantly!

~~~

Why Am I Giving This For Free?

Because its really important feature for any game and I just finished figuring out how to do it for Solus.

I figured you would enjoy it as well, since it was honestly not that easy to do, and I had to really think about how to do both the UMG and the actual C++ code to dynamically update action mappings during runtime

~~~

How To Use My Menu

Go in game and press the K key!

Click on the black and red buttons to rebind the jump button!

Add new actions any time using Project Settings->Input

~~~

Download (8mb)

Here's the full project for you!

It was made in UE4 Version 4.5!

Wiki Link to Download Page
                  https://wiki.unrealengine.com/File:ReBindableKeys.zip

Rama
                  Last edited by Rama; 11-07-2014, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Entire Free Sample Project for You!

Rebind Keys At Runtime!

https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post176137

Name:	ReBindableKeysTitle.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	265.6 KB
ID:	1060782

Comment

This was already incredible. now to have access to rebind-able keys at runtime AND a free sample project demonstrating how to achieve that in UMG is just all kinds of awesome .
                      Key rebinding is something many players seem to want but there wasn't any indication it was even possible to do that in UE4 (at least via blueprints), so thank you very much for another incredible addition to your plugin, and thank you for all the blueprint nodes you've already made available, I'm incredibly happy that your plugin exists and grateful for your continued expansion of it !

Comment

Originally posted by SwiftIllusion View Post
                        This was already incredible. now to have access to rebind-able keys at runtime AND a free sample project demonstrating how to achieve that in UMG is just all kinds of awesome .
                        Key rebinding is something many players seem to want but there wasn't any indication it was even possible to do that in UE4 (at least via blueprints), so thank you very much for another incredible addition to your plugin, and thank you for all the blueprint nodes you've already made available, I'm incredibly happy that your plugin exists and grateful for your continued expansion of it !
                        Hee heee!

You're welcome!

Great to hear from you!

~~~

Video of My Runtime Key Redbinding Project For you

This video demonstrates how my Runtime Rebindable Key System does actually have a scrolling feature!

You can have infinite key bindings in your list!

I also demonstrate how easy and fast it is to add new keybindings usig Project Settings -> Input!

And!

Remember that I am giving you this whole project for your own use!

Project Link
                        https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post176136

Rama
                        Last edited by Rama; 11-10-2014, 06:17 AM.

Comment

Hi there!

I actually have had success getting hit events between characters and static mesh actors, using a custom static mesh actor class.

You have to cause an impact, by jumping and then falling, or bumping into the wall, but I can actually get the hit event to fire even without physics involved.

If character is just standing on the floor it wont fire hit events constantly though, you do have to jump and then land.

What is your actual use case for which you are finding non-physics hit events are not firing?

Rama
                          That sounds most awesome! Especially now that I'm thinking I should merge my meshes so they are as few as possible for mobile performance (although I hope I'll only have about 50 meshes of about 20 polys each so I could probably take that hit), but yeah - with fewer, more complex, meshes my problem will be bigger. And I'd like to have accurate collision hits either way.

I've posted a pic of my problem for clarity in my thread, don't want to hijack this jampacked with goodness thread:

https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...-event-to-fire

The thread contains another link to a thread that seems to say the same - overlapping non-physics actors don't respond to hit events, and checking 'Simulation Generates Hit Events' doesn't do anything unless the actor is a physics actor...

You made me hopeful this is doable again!
                          Last edited by RumbleMonk; 11-10-2014, 03:01 PM. Reason: Removed pic to avoid double post

Comment

Originally posted by RumbleMonk View Post
                            That sounds most awesome! Especially now that I'm thinking I should merge my meshes so they are as few as possible for mobile performance (although I hope I'll only have about 50 meshes of about 20 polys each so I could probably take that hit), but yeah - with fewer, more complex, meshes my problem will be bigger. And I'd like to have accurate collision hits either way.

I've posted a pic of my problem for clarity in my thread, don't want to hijack this jampacked with goodness thread:

https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...-event-to-fire

The thread contains another link to a thread that seems to say the same - overlapping non-physics actors don't respond to hit events, and checking 'Simulation Generates Hit Events' doesn't do anything unless the actor is a physics actor...

You made me hopeful this is doable again!
                            Pic and Testing For You

Dear Rumble,

I succeeded in doing what you appear to be trying to do using a new Third Person template project / My Character BP and the setup I show in picture below!

I am easily and accurately getting hit event locations/normals.

Do try my repro yourself and see what is going on in your specific case

Name:	ForRumble.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	247.3 KB
ID:	1060877
                            Last edited by Rama; 11-11-2014, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Name:	SoundSetClassVolume.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	1060879

Set Volume of Any Sound Class

Any Time From Anywhere!

This is a node that Hourences requested I make!

You can use this node to set the volume of any sound class, any time, from anywhere!

I am aware of the option of using a sound mixer, however it is not as dynamic because you have to use fixed sound increments.

My node allows you to offer people an audio slider that is a continuous float value range based only on the slider increments.

Enjoy!

Rama

Wiki Download Page
                              https://wiki.unrealengine.com/File:VictoryPlugin.zip

Comment

Pic and Testing For You

Dear Rumble,

I succeeded in doing what you appear to be trying to do using a new Third Person template project / My Character BP and the setup I show in picture below!

I am easily and accurately getting hit event locations/normals.

Do try my repro yourself and see what is going on in your specific case
                                Hey thanks Rama! I'll try that later on today - I have a little nagging feeling coming from deep down my memory banks that I got a character class to do this correctly without physics, same as your case is, but a non-physics pawn class for some reason doesn't function the same as a non-physics character class when hitting non-physics actors.

I will definitely double check that though. I do hope I'm wrong. Which happens.

Big thanks for looking into this Rama! It's really helpful when someone experienced confirms you're right, says you're wrong or just puts you in a better direction. Figuring out little gotchas when you start out can eat up so much of dev time..

Comment

Working...
                                X