Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this the proper way to play dialog and other audio in order?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this the proper way to play dialog and other audio in order?

I'm wondering if this is the best way to play audio, wait for it to finish, then play the next one or move onto the next peice of logic once its finished.

I'm using the gamemode blueprint since I can attach an audio component and to centralize logic for the level. All dialog and voiceovers are played in this BP.

So is this the correct way?

http://i.imgur.com/aXTB5f9.png

Most heavy 1,2,3,4 dialog will be in cutscenes, but our games story uses a lot of dialog to move it along rather than gameplay and I want to make sure I dont get double-playing and multiple sounds palying at once when doing logic that calls a sound cue with a random audio picker and we also have subtitles, so thats a bool check in every peice of dialog.

I dont wanna get any further along and realize theres a better, or more proper way to have basic voiceovers/dialog playing "as part" of the logic. For example I dont want to play the next line until the previous line has finished and the player has moved to a trigger box in the the picture above. So I check if the player has set the trigger box in the levelBP which then sets the gamemode BP var "atCrates" under checkpoints catagory to true which then moves onto the logic pictures and so on and so forth.

Before I was using delays the exact length of the audio, but sometimes you cant use a delay and it doenst feel.... right to me but with the setup above, it will skip right to false and play the next bit of audio overtop of the audio pictured. It also requires me to use alot of sequences 0 - {DoOnce(PlaySomeSound())} 1 - { nextBitOfLogic() } since this is all on a tick since logic is associated with the audio.
    Last edited by Nsomnia; 05-04-2015, 01:50 PM.
    Tek LLC a personal Candaian Company running BlenderTek & UnrealTek is currently looking for help to bring back submarine simulator gaming with a new genre of sub sims: Cold War! (1945-1991) Operation: Trident SubSim Dev Diary Thread - Donations

I've started using a the GameMode class BP with SoundWave datatype reference varaibles to my dialog which I think drag in, use getDuration() and feed that float into a delay value that, well delays, before the next peice of dialog.

It gets a little tricky when you need dialog and logic all beig done on a tick, lots of sequences and doOnce()'s. Any tips?
    Tek LLC a personal Candaian Company running BlenderTek & UnrealTek is currently looking for help to bring back submarine simulator gaming with a new genre of sub sims: Cold War! (1945-1991) Operation: Trident SubSim Dev Diary Thread - Donations

Comment

Hi there- alas, you are currently doing it right, as far as native systems go for UE4. We are working on a loc/dialog tool, but it'll be a while before it's online. Your method is pretty much how we do it at Epic, for better or worse .
      Best-
      Zak
      Zak Belica
      Audio Director, Epic Games

Comment

Hi Zak, any update on the native dialog tool for UE4? I'm currently running into difficulties with the system Nsomnia outlined by using two different types of FMOD events to do a dialogue exchange between two characters in a VR game (one character's output is stereo and the other one is mono and attached to an NPC's skeletal mesh component.) Afaik the delays are sometimes fired too early or too late based on my print screens, causing early or late checks for 'is playing' on the fmod event to skip the next line of dialogue. Also, delays make it pretty tricky to manage precise timing in the space between the FMOD event sounds, which drastically impacts the meaning behind the lines of dialogue.

I'm attaching screenshots to illustrate. What I'm trying to do is have all the dialogue stop if the player ends overlap with the NPC's collision box and reset the conversation back to the beginning when they overlap it again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (75).png
Views:	1
Size:	385.6 KB
ID:	1108294Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (76).png
Size:	425.9 KB
ID:	1108297Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (77).png
Size:	445.5 KB