Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Character Walk on a Wall? (E.g Sonic running around a loop)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ricardo Raionhardt
    The links on the videos are playable demos, not the framework. I told you the source of the Sonic framework is private.
    Do you mean to say it isn't a .uproject file, simply something to play? Come on! You had me actually hopeful there! And I still won't change anything on the main download if it's simply a download. Are you afraid someone will steal and not give credit? That's honestly the only thing I can think you might be afraid of here. I can't corrupt your project, can I? If such a thing happens to me, it won't happen to you because they're separate files. Perfect, logical sense.
    Also, the framework meaning the code, the project, etc.?
    I'm leaving all of you here at the Unreal forums alone. For now. I'm sorry for any trouble I've caused, for the mods or any member of this community.
    As some have said, I'm just going to run back to my little "hug-hole" for now. It's called Scratch, and I'll be there until I'm more experienced.
    Goodbye, all.
    -Hahasamian

Comment

Guys, it's nice to see how passionate you are about that sonic framework, but can you please either move the conversation to private or create a new thread as future people will most likely no want to see "Can I have it?" "No" "Can I have it now?" "No" :P
      KITATUS
      "Information shouldn't be behind a paywall, It should be free for all!"

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo Raionhardt
        The framework means the project, the codebase that allows the creation of a sonic game. And I'm not afraid of anything, I do have people using the framework, that are doing big projects, I have several reasons, but I can resume that I put in private just because I wanted, as it is my choice as owner.
        I respect the fact that you're owner of this project, however:
        It seems not so much of a "development kit" when it is kept closed up from anyone outside of those you know. More like, "early demo of the tech we're using to make so-and-so". A "development kit", in this case, is usually a tool for, well, developing. This tool is up for download for anyone, not just a certain group of people that are working on this one game. Perhaps "engine" would be a better phrase, seeing how most games don't just release the engine they use.
        Oh, wait... we're using one that was released? Oops...
        Anyway, that's mostly because the engine was basically from scratch.
        The main point is that you title the playable demo of the project's base code a "development kit". Which I don't really feel is right, if it will never be released to the public. But that's what I think. You can do what you want with your project. It just means more work for us who want to make other games. If I make a 3D edit to the Sonic Unreal Worlds project, I'll make sure to release it to the public if I can.
        I'm leaving all of you here at the Unreal forums alone. For now. I'm sorry for any trouble I've caused, for the mods or any member of this community.
        As some have said, I'm just going to run back to my little "hug-hole" for now. It's called Scratch, and I'll be there until I'm more experienced.
        Goodbye, all.
        -Hahasamian

Comment

I'm trying to make a game where the character (vehicle specifically) clings to the track no matter how it's oriented.

Anyone know if this question has actually been answered? I went from one end of this thread to the other and there seems to be nothing straightforward (at least not that I could see). There are plenty of examples of it being done both here and in other threads and forums, but it seems no one is directly sharing HOW it's done. All I've found are 30 second or less videos on YouTube just showing off the results but no detailed explanation of how it's achieved despite numerous requests in the comments section to provide one.

This isn't the first time I've witnessed a critical mechanic not being easy to find tutorials on. Is there some sort of unspoken taboo about programmers sharing their knowledge in this industry? Like they feel if they told everyone how to do it they'd lose their indispensability or something?

Comment

[MENTION=26613]Steamgeek[/MENTION]

Here is a very basic implementation with a spline as a track. I hope that it helps you somehow Steamgeek. You could potentially cast to this actor and expose the speed variable, if you want to increase or decrease the speed of your vehicle, if you have something like that in mind.

https://vid.me/zCqv
            Main channel:
            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGC...o9s3YcA/videos

Comment

Originally posted by DarkGodsLair View Post

Here is a very basic implementation with a spline as a track. I hope that it helps you somehow Steamgeek. You could potentially cast to this actor and expose the speed variable, if you want to increase or decrease the speed of your vehicle, if you have something like that in mind.

Thank you.

It does help a little but it looks like the character is fixed on rails. I was thinking more control allowing the player to strafe side to side while running forward. I'm also planning on having a tube shaped track the player can run around the inside of. I started a new thread with a more clear explaination of what I want to do.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkGodsLair View Post

Uh, vid.me is down now..

Comment

Is there anyway to put the nav mesh on the walls and ceilings? In 2018 I hope so...

Comment

With the help of a few dozen different posts around the internet and a year of trial and error, I just figured out a really good method for 360 degree / planet / loop, movement with or without custom gravity. It can be done in BP only and is pretty simple.
                    Will work on it a few more days and then make a tutorial and link it over here.

Last edited by GHFear; 09-27-2018, 06:43 AM.

Comment

Ey thats nice! Thank you for sharing it!

Comment

Have most kinds of custom gravity you might want done now.
                        Just making it all simpler to use and making clean functions of it all.
                        This is for Pawn, FirstPersonCharacter and ThirdPersonCharacter.

Comment

I did this to test Sonic looping:

That is an update:

Last edited by CaioFelipe; 03-02-2019, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Unfortunately it seems these videos are no longer available. I would love to watch it. I mean that older ones only. Thanks for updates.
                            Last edited by Gamerz31w; 11-24-2019, 09:14 AM.

Comment

give the loop a texture with a high friction value (physics mat) and disable jump before the loop and enable it after?

Also the complex suspension demo has a loop. it's a car but you can only drive the loop at speed...

Comment

Working...
                              X