Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by bpennkast View Post
    not sure if this is still relevant but i recently gave ledge detection a go and managed to make a pretty compact system that works pretty well so far. right now it can detect top ledges even in small gaps pretty well, and cancels out ledges that are too steep for realism or wouldnt have enough space for a hand to grab. next, i plan on making the second trace an array to determine if the object is a ledge, horizontal pipe shape, vertical pipe shape, etc. so i can adapt the animations and grab mechanics. until then, its just ledge detection.[ATTACH=CONFIG]117947[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]117948[/ATTACH]
    I have this function connected to event tick in the character blueprint but it could be connected to a loop or something.
    Hey bpennkast, what do you do with the Climb Point once it has been set? I was able to reproduce what you've posted so far but a little unsure on how to actually make the character go to the Climb Point and stay there. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by bpennkast View Post
    not sure if this is still relevant but i recently gave ledge detection a go and managed to make a pretty compact system that works pretty well so far. right now it can detect top ledges even in small gaps pretty well, and cancels out ledges that are too steep for realism or wouldnt have enough space for a hand to grab. next, i plan on making the second trace an array to determine if the object is a ledge, horizontal pipe shape, vertical pipe shape, etc. so i can adapt the animations and grab mechanics. until then, its just ledge detection.
    I have this function connected to event tick in the character blueprint but it could be connected to a loop or something.
    Thanks bpennkast for sharing your discoveries! I just recreated your function and it looks brilliant. Scaling the trace by the character's velocity was a neat idea. I'm going to try to modify the info here to attempt a free-run system so the character can only grab on to logical ledges. This definitely points me in the right direction, so thanks for taking the time to share your insights!

-Adam

Leave a comment:

• replied
    not sure if this is still relevant but i recently gave ledge detection a go and managed to make a pretty compact system that works pretty well so far. right now it can detect top ledges even in small gaps pretty well, and cancels out ledges that are too steep for realism or wouldnt have enough space for a hand to grab. next, i plan on making the second trace an array to determine if the object is a ledge, horizontal pipe shape, vertical pipe shape, etc. so i can adapt the animations and grab mechanics. until then, its just ledge detection.Click image for larger version

Name:	LD01.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	308.0 KB
ID:	1118539Click image for larger version

Name:	LD02.PNG
Size:	213.2 KB
ID:	1118540
    Last edited by UE4_PotatoClips; 11-17-2016, 10:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey, Alex and everyone else working on stuff like this. I'm trying to make a climb system of my own. Got the ledge trace working pretty well, but how do I get the position where it hit, to snap the character to?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    thanks for the Response, I did send some in December though your site maybe that is not working. but it doesn't matter
    thanks anyway
    Also good to see you back updating and working on the climbing system
    Last edited by WeekendWarrior; 01-12-2016, 04:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi Darren. I sent you an email yesterday. Months? I only have two emails from you. One from 03/01/16 and another one 11/01/16.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    dose anyone have the Password for the Zip File (4.9 Pro version), I have tried many times over the past few months trying to get in contact with Alex3d but I don't get any response, I have a proof of purchase if anyone could help that would be grate
    thanks
    Click image for larger version

Name:	pop.jpg
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	1098417

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'm not sure about using a capsule component to check for walls, but the trace doesn't seem to have a problem detecting brushes. That's the way I'm going about detecting walls.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks for the awnser tarr_bot. That's too bad. Still, I'll look into it if there's anything in there I can use

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey Harath,

Honestly I think most of us who have bought this kit have given up trying to get it to work.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hello Everyone.

I'm busy learning Unreal 4 and right now, I'm trying to implement ledge grabbing via McFearson's method from way at the start of this thread.
    Problem is, I've run in to pretty much of a snag early on.

Right now, I'm just trying to implement the "check for Falling movement mode, and player is past arc top" portion.
    It looks like Mc Fearson is using a is Equal (Byte) block to check if the movement mode is Falling.
    However, in my case, I can only enter numerical values to check against the movement mode, whereas McFearson looks to have a dropdown menu for movement modes.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there another block I should use, or do I need to assign Byte values to the different movement modes to the Equal block can check against that?
    Last edited by Harath1d20; 06-10-2015, 04:13 PM. Reason: spelling errors

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I got around to playing with this system again and disabling/deleting some that stuff that looks Not so Good or just poorly done, like jumping backwards and sideways while on the ledge, and i'm now getting a simple climbing system that seems to work and not look to bad. But can anyone explain to me why in the Anim Blueprint - State Machine every Boolean variables has a Error on it a i.e "is Ledge Grabbing?" dose simply cancel out when you play the level. it plays right but I am just not shore. just to Add this is there even before i started deleting stuff. there is also so much stuff that doesn't seem to be in uses like Vault jumping and so on and there seems to be a references to them all over the shop but deleting them seems to crate more problems, and when I use the "delete unused variables button the hole system has a melt down. will leaving unused info leed to Bugs and performance issues? as I really want a basic climbing system to work that but just not shore if I should "Bin it" or try to recrate the stuff that I want in a game? but i just don't know how intertwined every thing is.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I've problems with the height of a character (a little one - half the size of the HERO_TPP): impossible to grab a ledge from a jump... i've played with "Edge Offset", i've moved the sphere to check with the new size... but it doesn't function... someone has succeed in that direction ?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Darkworth View Post
    Hey there! First off thanks for all the sharing you guys are doing with this. For someone who is still very new to UE4 it certainly is nice to have such a generous community willing to put stuff like this out there for nubs like me to learn from!

I downloaded the package you provided here and am getting the following errors with it:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6850[/ATTACH]

I tried adding the variables it says it is missing but that didn't seem to help anything. I was hoping maybe you could point me in the right direction for what it is looking for here?

Thanks in advance!
    How were you able to access the BP's? UE4 will not let me import the .uasset files!!!!!! Please help!!!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey Benicourt, that sounds like a crazy bug, I haven't encountered that myself.

I wanted to let you know that I've contacted Jon Jones (marketplace curator) about this Kit and Alex's conduct, I'm sure if you were to contact him as well it would add more weight to the issue.
    Last edited by Fusion_Pizza; 06-01-2015, 02:44 PM. Reason: typo

Leave a comment:

Working...
X