Edge grabbing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by huxi View Post
    thats great addition....can u share with us what part u add in ur BP to have this
    The part that detect when the character is walking off a ledge I posted here: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...Off-Ledge-quot
    Then, you just need to call the right root motion animation.

What problem do you mean exactly? That the pawn is doing some fast animation before climbing upwards?

Looking at your Anim Montage: Should be fine with root motion, as long as the root motion is setup correctly in your modelling software.
    The one that the character is doing after it climbs down.
    My root animations are right. And I changed my animMontage. Instead of having just one for all three root motions, I removed one and created another animmontage, and for that animation, that problem is gone. I need to make this for the other one also.
    BASIC version can also be bought on Marketplace.
    PRO version can be bought on my site only.
    www.3dalex.com

Comment

Don't want to side track you, but I'm wondering if you've managed to get any of this working with replication?

Comment

Originally posted by Alex3d View Post
        The one that the character is doing after it climbs down.
        My root animations are right. And I changed my animMontage. Instead of having just one for all three root motions, I removed one and created another animmontage, and for that animation, that problem is gone. I need to make this for the other one also.
        Is just the Montage playing you were showing in the video during this bug? Seems like you are using an idle animation or some sort of this while hanging, right? Then again, you have a blendout in your animation montage for the climbing down animation which is causing this.

Comment

Originally posted by Xodroc View Post
          Don't want to side track you, but I'm wondering if you've managed to get any of this working with replication?
          No, I didn't tried yet. But I don't see any reason for this to not work with replication.

Originally posted by order66 View Post
          Is just the Montage playing you were showing in the video during this bug? Seems like you are using an idle animation or some sort of this while hanging, right? Then again, you have a blendout in your animation montage for the climbing down animation which is causing this.
          Yes, I have an idle animation and when I need to climp down, I play a root motion montage. Those problems that I was having with the blending are gone now, because I seperate my root motions into individual montages. Before I was using all of them inside just one montage and that was giving that blending problem.
          Last edited by Alex3d; 05-06-2014, 08:39 AM.
          www.3dalex.com

Comment

One more progress video...
            I am finally making root motion to work right.

www.3dalex.com

Comment

Looks good. You're starting to getting somewhere with this

A few annotations for future updates:

Around 0:54 you should change the animation to something where the character is really hanging and not using his feet to move sidewards. Looks like he is using an invisible wall ^^

1:20: The long jump. The overall animation looks a bit strange as he hits the wall. To make it look badass you could implement a system like this:

Trace for upcoming edges while jumping. If you get close enough the character does an anticipation of impact animation (e.g. moving arms in position to grab the edge). When colliding with the wall you could enable ragdoll physics (or blend it in) for a limited amount of time to get some more realistic results. Use hands IK to pin the hands to the edge.

More advanced features:

Randomly enable radgoll physics with hands IK to make the character slip (e.g. after long jump) so that he looses contact with one hand and only hangs on one hand. Make him automatically recover but disable player input during this. Increase the chance of something happening like this with the lenght/height of the jump. Adds a whole lot of realism

Comment

wow Alex3d this looks sooo awesome!
                reference
                http://dirty-windows.de

my blog
                http://ulrichthuemmler.blogspot.com/

Comment

It looks really Good

Really Good Work
                  Currently Working on a little Project called Vision Runner
                  It's a First Person Parkour Game with an In-Game Map Editor.

Check it out on Steam Greenlight
                  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=211681776

Comment

Originally posted by order66 View Post
                    Looks good. You're starting to getting somewhere with this

A few annotations for future updates:

Around 0:54 you should change the animation to something where the character is really hanging and not using his feet to move sidewards. Looks like he is using an invisible wall ^^

1:20: The long jump. The overall animation looks a bit strange as he hits the wall. To make it look badass you could implement a system like this:

Trace for upcoming edges while jumping. If you get close enough the character does an anticipation of impact animation (e.g. moving arms in position to grab the edge). When colliding with the wall you could enable ragdoll physics (or blend it in) for a limited amount of time to get some more realistic results. Use hands IK to pin the hands to the edge.

More advanced features:

Randomly enable radgoll physics with hands IK to make the character slip (e.g. after long jump) so that he looses contact with one hand and only hangs on one hand. Make him automatically recover but disable player input during this. Increase the chance of something happening like this with the lenght/height of the jump. Adds a whole lot of realism

Thanks
                    My TODO list still have lots of features to implement, and all this that you said are there

Originally posted by Cybergebi View Post
                    It looks really Good

Really Good Work

Root motion rotation is working also as you can see. Most of the problems that I had, were because of the camera controll that controls the character rotation. I had to disable that when I am using root motion.
                    www.3dalex.com

Comment

Just a small video progress and one more bug. rsss

I have now, wall running and climbing, if I press the right key at the right moment. Also, I can now jump between ledges. The only problem now is the rotation on jumping back when I am grabbing a ledge.

www.3dalex.com

Comment

Just a small video progress and one more bug. rsss

I have now, wall running and climbing, if I press the right key at the right moment. Also, I can now jump between ledges. The only problem now is the rotation on jumping back when I am grabbing a ledge.

Looks awesome

I don't now exactly, but what if you rotate the Character before he Jumps?

Comment

Originally posted by Cybergebi View Post
                          Looks awesome

I don't now exactly, but what if you rotate the Character before he Jumps?
                          Thanks.

But the problem is that when I press the back button, it runs the prepare back jump animation, as you can on that video. If I rotate it before jumping, the character will face the wall again. I tried to rotate after jumping, and that stops the jumping movement.
                          www.3dalex.com

Comment

It's not the best solution, but the but the only one that came to my mind.

How about Rotating the Character and at the Same Time play the Animation with an Rotation in the opposite direction?

soory, i didn't have another Idea

Comment

Thanks.

But the problem is that when I press the back button, it runs the prepare back jump animation, as you can on that video. If I rotate it before jumping, the character will face the wall again. I tried to rotate after jumping, and that stops the jumping movement.
                              Hmm, so when you go from the "looking back" pose, you should then do a blend between that and the "grabbing" pose over the distance of the jump. Then set the character facing once the jump is complete (so in essence you reset the character grabbing pose after the jump completes). Ideally you'd have some arm end effectors that did a sort of reaching toward the ledge you will grab to during that transition too.

Will have to play with some of this.

Comment

I am going to try another Root Motion to just start the jump.
                                www.3dalex.com

Comment

Working...
                                X