No announcement yet.

Edge grabbing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great job Cybergebi, I'm also curios about how you do the climbing up. Are you just playing a root motion animation?

Comment

Looks amazing gebi! Wish mine was working that well :P
      Artist and Amateur-Blueprintist at SpiritShock

Comment

Thanks, i will share my BP and Animation when i come home

But the Animation is one of my First Animations so it doesnt run fluently :P

Originally posted by McFearson View Post
        Great job Cybergebi, I'm also curios about how you do the climbing up. Are you just playing a root motion animation?
        Yep it's a Root Motion.
        Currently Working on a little Project called Vision Runner
        It's a First Person Parkour Game with an In-Game Map Editor.

Check it out on Steam Greenlight
        http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=211681776

Comment

I am stucked here on the Root Motion part, probably because I never did this before... I don't know if I am making it right or not. But I follow the docs about Root Motion, but when I set the root motion flags ( translation and rotation ) and can not see them working, not even in game.
          Last edited by Alex3d; 04-24-2014, 02:16 PM.
          BASIC version can also be bought on Marketplace.
          PRO version can be bought on my site only.
          www.3dalex.com

Comment

To the peeps that added some "climbing" animation, I'm certainly sure that you can't actually DO animations in UE4, so what program do you guys use to those animations? I would want something to just do simple animations! And sorry for slight off-topic, I'm working on gettings this edge grab thing to work alos. (:

Comment

Hey Guys,

a short Tutorial:

i have took the Climbing BP from Alex3D and modified it a little bit.
              NOTE: My BP is not done efficiently

1)For the Root Animation, we need a Target for the Player.
              i have Simply made a Box and use his World Position when the Player climbs on the Edge.

2) Save the Position in a Variable before he tryes to Go Up, now we just Move the Player to that Point in the Time of the Animation.

3)And in the Part of Alex's BP we need to check if he still should move to the ledge or not, if we don't do this, the Player would stay at his Position.

4)Don't forget to make the Animation Montage. Just use your Climbing Up Animation and acitvate the Root Motion Translation.

5) And now we need to let the Animation system now, which Montage we would like to Play.

I have tryed many Ways but this is the Only one who worked, Suggestions? Just Reply, Thanks

Here you can Download all the Character Assets and his Blueprint
              https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ti5619sd4...p%20Player.zip

Any Questions?
              Just Ask

Greetings
              Cybergebi
              Last edited by Cybergebi; 04-24-2014, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DempaG View Post
                To the peeps that added some "climbing" animation, I'm certainly sure that you can't actually DO animations in UE4, so what program do you guys use to those animations? I would want something to just do simple animations! And sorry for slight off-topic, I'm working on gettings this edge grab thing to work alos. (:
                Maya and the Unreal Animation & Rigging Tools, but Maya costs a little bit too much.
                Maya LT is also a solution for "Indie Prices" as they call it.

You could start with Blender, it's free.
                Last edited by Cybergebi; 04-24-2014, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Thanks for help us out with this. If we all help each other we can accomplish good things together.

Well, perhaps this is the reason that mine is not working. I can see a small root movement, but not like I have in Maya.
                  Where did you find the info about this? That we need a target position?

Also, why do you have the box component so high up? Shouldn't it be at the ledge location?
                  Last edited by Alex3d; 04-24-2014, 03:28 PM.
                  www.3dalex.com

Comment

Originally posted by Alex3d View Post
                    Thanks for help us out with this. If we all help each other we can accomplish good things together.
                    Yep.
                    Well, perhaps this is the reason that mine is not working. I can see a small root movement, but not like I have in Maya.
                    Where did you find the info about this? That we need a target position?

Also, why do you have the box component so high up? Shouldn't it be at the ledge location?
                    You misunderstand something, the Root Animation does not climb up, it only stops the Mesh from Moving without the Capsule (Player itself). Unreal Engine does not move the Player, it only moves the Mesh itself.
                    When you make the Target Position, we need the World Location to move the entire Player to this Point, and while it is moving we play the Animation. The Animation itself doesn't change the Location of the Player.
                    I have experimented a bit and only came to this solution, because without using "Move Component to" the Mesh plays the Animation and Climb Up but after that it jumps back to the old Position because the Player is still hanging on the ledge.

And so the box must be at the top because this is our destination if we are hanging on the edge.

Look at my Example with my Paint Skills xD
                    Last edited by Cybergebi; 04-24-2014, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cybergebi View Post
                      Hey Guys,

a short Tutorial:

i have took the Climbing BP from Alex3D and modified it a little bit.
                      NOTE: My BP is not done efficiently

i have Simply made a Box and use his World Position when the Player climbs on the Edge.

2) Save the Position in a Variable before he tryes to Go Up, now we just Move the Player to that Point in the Time of the Animation.

3)And in the Part of Alex's BP we need to check if he still should move to the ledge or not, if we don't do this, the Player would stay at his Position.

4)Don't forget to make the Animation Montage. Just use your Climbing Up Animation and acitvate the Root Motion Translation.

5) And now we need to let the Animation system now, which Montage we would like to Play.

I have tryed many Ways but this is the Only one who worked, Suggestions? Just Reply, Thanks

Here you can Download all the Character Assets and his Blueprint
                      https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ti5619sd4...p%20Player.zip

Any Questions?
                      Just Ask

Greetings
                      Cybergebi
                      Thank you so much for your generosity and sharing. I have a question regarding climbing using button input as a trigger. For example, I eventually would like feature climbing in my game. (I'm a beginner obviously)

But, I wish for my climbing system to only be activated while a button is being pressed. Using a gamepad for example, the character jumps to a ledge/wall, I hold down the left trigger button on the gamepad. This action makes the game character grab and then activates the climbing system. All this time left trigger is pressed. If I release the left trigger, the game character let's go and falls.

If you're familiar with Shadow of the Colossus, that what I mean. Only while a gamepad button is pressed, will the character grab and stay grabbing/climbing. Releasing the button = character releasing and falling.

Your example is first person but I'm sure the same applies for 3rd person camera.

Where in the BP would this button input requirement be placed? Or would it require a different BP altogether?

Comment

Originally posted by comet View Post
                        Thank you so much for your generosity and sharing. I have a question regarding climbing using button input as a trigger. For example, I eventually would like feature climbing in my game. (I'm a beginner obviously)

But, I wish for my climbing system to only be activated while a button is being pressed. Using a gamepad for example, the character jumps to a ledge/wall, I hold down the left trigger button on the gamepad. This action makes the game character grab and then activates the climbing system. All this time left trigger is pressed. If I release the left trigger, the game character let's go and falls.

If you're familiar with Shadow of the Colossus, that what I mean. Only while a gamepad button is pressed, will the character grab and stay grabbing/climbing. Releasing the button = character releasing and falling.

Your example is first person but I'm sure the same applies for 3rd person camera.

Where in the BP would this button input requirement be placed? Or would it require a different BP altogether?
                        You can simply do something like this:

Then you can check the Variable every frame before you make the "Move component to"
                        So:

before the "Move compnent to"

Comment

I think that there is a bug with the engine, because the root animation should be driving the movement, and I think that this is not working. And you made it work with the "Move Component to".

The docs says this: "Once your animation is set up to utilize root motion, then the movement that was set up by the animator temporarily becomes the driving force of the capsule."

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...ion/index.html
                          Last edited by Alex3d; 04-24-2014, 05:06 PM.
                          www.3dalex.com

Comment

I think that there is a bug with the engine, because the root animation should be driving the movement, and I think that this is not working. And you made it work with the "Move Component to".

The docs says this: "Once your animation is set up to utilize root motion, then the movement that was set up by the animator temporarily becomes the driving force of the capsule."

Yes, that could be possible. But until the Bug is not fixed i just will use move component to

I have allready wondered why its not working
                            When that works, many things could be easier to accomplish

Comment

The bottom of the page says:
                              "The physics state of the Character is taken into account during Root Motion. For example, if the character physics is Walking or Falling, then the Z-axis of Root Motion will be ignored, and gravity will be applied. Characters will fall, go down slopes or up stairs. If the character physics is Flying, then the full root motion is applied and gravity is ignored."

So looks like we can temporarily set the character state to flying to get root motion to work.

p.s. Great work and thanks for sharing
                              Last edited by yaure; 04-24-2014, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yaure View Post
                                The bottom of the page says:
                                "The physics state of the Character is taken into account during Root Motion. For example, if the character physics is Walking or Falling, then the Z-axis of Root Motion will be ignored, and gravity will be applied. Characters will fall, go down slopes or up stairs. If the character physics is Flying, then the full root motion is applied and gravity is ignored."

So looks like we can temporarily set the character state to flying to get root motion to work.

p.s. Great work and thanks for sharing
                                I tried that and it works. Just to find out when the root animation ends to set the state to walking again.

I removed the "Move Component to" part and inside the the EventGraph of the AnimBlueprint, I added and AnimNotify_End ( This fires when the montage animation ends) event, that calls a "Set movement Mode" walking.
                                Last edited by Alex3d; 04-24-2014, 11:54 PM.
                                www.3dalex.com

Comment

Working...
                                X