No announcement yet.

Edge grabbing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks for the Response, I did send some in December though your site maybe that is not working. but it doesn't matter
    thanks anyway
    Also good to see you back updating and working on the climbing system
    Last edited by WeekendWarrior; 01-12-2016, 04:43 AM.

Comment

Hey, Alex and everyone else working on stuff like this. I'm trying to make a climb system of my own. Got the ledge trace working pretty well, but how do I get the position where it hit, to snap the character to?

Comment

not sure if this is still relevant but i recently gave ledge detection a go and managed to make a pretty compact system that works pretty well so far. right now it can detect top ledges even in small gaps pretty well, and cancels out ledges that are too steep for realism or wouldnt have enough space for a hand to grab. next, i plan on making the second trace an array to determine if the object is a ledge, horizontal pipe shape, vertical pipe shape, etc. so i can adapt the animations and grab mechanics. until then, its just ledge detection.Click image for larger version

Name:	LD01.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	308.0 KB
ID:	1118539Click image for larger version

Name:	LD02.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	213.2 KB
ID:	1118540
        I have this function connected to event tick in the character blueprint but it could be connected to a loop or something.
        Last edited by UE4_PotatoClips; 11-17-2016, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bpennkast View Post
          not sure if this is still relevant but i recently gave ledge detection a go and managed to make a pretty compact system that works pretty well so far. right now it can detect top ledges even in small gaps pretty well, and cancels out ledges that are too steep for realism or wouldnt have enough space for a hand to grab. next, i plan on making the second trace an array to determine if the object is a ledge, horizontal pipe shape, vertical pipe shape, etc. so i can adapt the animations and grab mechanics. until then, its just ledge detection.
          I have this function connected to event tick in the character blueprint but it could be connected to a loop or something.
          Thanks bpennkast for sharing your discoveries! I just recreated your function and it looks brilliant. Scaling the trace by the character's velocity was a neat idea. I'm going to try to modify the info here to attempt a free-run system so the character can only grab on to logical ledges. This definitely points me in the right direction, so thanks for taking the time to share your insights!

-Adam

Comment

Originally posted by bpennkast View Post
            not sure if this is still relevant but i recently gave ledge detection a go and managed to make a pretty compact system that works pretty well so far. right now it can detect top ledges even in small gaps pretty well, and cancels out ledges that are too steep for realism or wouldnt have enough space for a hand to grab. next, i plan on making the second trace an array to determine if the object is a ledge, horizontal pipe shape, vertical pipe shape, etc. so i can adapt the animations and grab mechanics. until then, its just ledge detection.[ATTACH=CONFIG]117947[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]117948[/ATTACH]
            Hey bpennkast, what do you do with the Climb Point once it has been set? I was able to reproduce what you've posted so far but a little unsure on how to actually make the character go to the Climb Point and stay there. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X