No announcement yet.

Edge grabbing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unreal show an error, but it can open right? If it can open you can look and see what is missing, just some variables.
    BASIC version can also be bought on Marketplace.
    PRO version can be bought on my site only.
    www.3dalex.com

Comment

Originally posted by Alex3d View Post
      Unreal show an error, but it can open right? If it can open you can look and see what is missing, just some variables.
      No it's not visible in the Editor, the Editor shows the Error at Startup:

Copying a Blueprint into another Project does not work, you need to Export it with the Migrate Option.
      Currently Working on a little Project called Vision Runner
      It's a First Person Parkour Game with an In-Game Map Editor.

Check it out on Steam Greenlight
      http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=211681776

Comment

Which unreal version are you using? Mine is 4.1 preview.

Copying a Blueprint into another Project does not work, you need to Export it with the Migrate Option.

Of couse it works. Other people send me their blueprint files that I could open inside the editor.
        Also, I do that here all the time. I copy a blueprint file from one project and past inside other project, and it works.
        www.3dalex.com

Comment

I guess some screeshots then...

You still need to add another capsule component to the character, to have the Overlap Events, like this:

And ativate the "Generate Overlap Events" inside the collision property of each mesh that you like to grab, like this:
          Last edited by Alex3d; 04-18-2014, 07:52 PM.
          www.3dalex.com

Comment

I have set up everything like your Screenshots, but he doesnt grab the Ledges and what Values do you use in your variables like TraceDownOffset 1 & 2, New ZPos Offset and Edge offset?
            Last edited by Cybergebi; 04-18-2014, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cybergebi View Post
              I have set up everything like your Screenshots, but he doesnt grab the Ledges and what Values do you use in your variables like TraceDownOffset 1 & 2, New ZPos Offset and Edge offset?
              Did you see the last two images that I added on the previous post?

Also "TraceDownOffset 1" should be called "TraceForwardOffset" and its value is 100.
              "TraceDownOffset 2"= 15
              "TraceDistanceDown" = 200
              "New ZPos Offset" = 90
              "Edge offset" = -70
              www.3dalex.com

Comment

About this problem: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...ll=1#post19650

I really don't know why, but I have an offset from the ledge distance value that I use. The value that I have is - 65 and it works fine for movable meshes. I just increase this to -70 and now it works for both Movable and Static meshes. Why????? But now my character stays a little of the ledge.
                Last edited by Alex3d; 04-18-2014, 08:01 PM.
                www.3dalex.com

Comment

ok, i will download the 4.1 Preview later and test it again. The Overlap Sting is correctly displayed.

Comment

After lots of time trying to understand an odd behaviour, I finally manage to found what was causing it. But I still do not know why this is happening.
                    So, any thoughts? As you can see on the video, if the meshes where I try to grab have the mobility flag set to Movable, my BP code ( "Traces" and "Move Component to") will work fine. But if I set it to Static, you can see that odd behaviour, that makes the character to move away from the grabbed mesh.
                    About this problem: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...ll=1#post19650

I really don't know why, but I have an offset from the ledge distance value that I use. The value that I have is - 65 and it works fine for movable meshes. I just increase this to -70 and now it works for both Movable and Static meshes. Why????? But now my character stays a little of the ledge.
                    My guess for what was causing it is that your player's collision capsule (not the one you were using to detect objects to latch onto) was being put into the wall by your blueprint then dragging itself back out. I have no idea why it would be a problem on static but not moveable though :S
                    Artist and Amateur-Blueprintist at SpiritShock

Comment

Progress... Not the best animation in the world, but for a few minutes working on it, is good enough.

Last edited by Alex3d; 04-19-2014, 12:43 AM.
                      www.3dalex.com

Comment

thx for sharing Alex3d works awesome!
                        reference
                        http://dirty-windows.de

my blog
                        http://ulrichthuemmler.blogspot.com/

Comment

I have Updated UE and now your BP works, thanks.

Cause of your Problem above, i have just made the Capsule Radius from the Main Capsule a litte bit smaller. Now it Works

Comment

Hello all, I am an art guy (mainly character artist) so I like to digital sculpt, paint etc. But I am really interested in pushing myself as an artist in the areas of animation, in particular the are of animation as it relates to motion systems in UE4 like what you are all creating.

I am really interested in learning how to build the first demo that was shown at the beginning of the thread:

I am very new to the entire BluePrint world (as many of you are) I'm just wondering if you all have some advise for someone that is starting out in this area, what are the best tutorial out there that help you understand the movement system in UE4?

Would any of you be willing to make a video that covers how to take the base character in UE4, create a custom animation, tie that into the movement system and then have that result used by the player with their mouse/keyboard or joypad?

Any advise or help in this are would be highly appreciated.....again... really cool work being done here and I am very grateful for the sharing of information.

EDIT:I'm sure most of you know about this now, but Zak Parrish made an incredible video series on how to reconstruct the entire 3rd person template..It helped me get a better understanding of how these systems work. If you are like me and are still learning about the movement systems you might want to give this 15 part video series a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWbd...368myr-Kg2ZLwb
                            Last edited by NickZucc; 04-25-2014, 10:36 AM. Reason: adding info

Comment

I've been tinkering around with this stuff to learn and I have a question. The default sample project has all these boxes made with additive brushes, but no matter what I try, I can't seem to get an overlap event to trigger when the capsule collides with them. I have to remove the boxes and replace them with something else and then it works. But clearly the player can walk and jump on them, so something knows their boundary's. What's up with that?

Comment

I'm not sure about using a capsule component to check for walls, but the trace doesn't seem to have a problem detecting brushes. That's the way I'm going about detecting walls.

Comment

Working...
                                X