Edge grabbing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@ PenguinTD:
    The problem isn't that it is hitting the wall when it traces, that's fine. The problem I'm having is that is is hitting the wall but returning the trace's return value bool as false. Which the rest of the script assumes there is a gap in the wall that I can grab on to and starts the edge grab.

Here is a video of what is going on. The first time at the flat wall it returns false at some point and "grabs" nothing essentially. The second jump is what it SHOULD be doing.

*UPDATE*
    So ummm... I removed that blue brush that was on the wall and now the problem is totally gone. I'm guessing it created some odd geometry that threw off the trace. One bug down!
    Last edited by McFearson; 04-11-2014, 03:59 PM.

Comment

If I were you I'd find out what happens when there is that blue brush. Because you never know when that will happen again.
      like change size, location, behind the wall, on other geo, etc. and if it's a bug, send to answer hub, they will have people looking at it.
      Unreal Engine 4 Game Framework diagram for relation of all major base object types
      Unreal Engine 4 Input Event diagram, scroll down to section Input Processing Procedural
      Resident Evil Classic Camera
      RPCs official document, Must Read
      Everything you should know about replication

Comment

There was a bug in 4.0 where you could get overlap events from meshes that block you, as well as from objects that did not have 'Generate Overlap Events' set (this should be required on both objects to get the event). This is fixed in 4.1, hopefully it will not affect this work!

As for inheriting scale when you attach to things- you can simple set 'Absolute Scale' and you will no longer inherit it. In the editor you do this by clicking on the word Scale in the transform details - it will change to Absolute Scale. The same goes for Location and Rotation as well, if you want to ignore that from your attachment parent.
        Lead Programmer - UE4 Animation/Physics/Audio Team - Epic Games
        Twitter: @EpicJamesG

Comment

ok, so I'm trying to attach the player to the object that I'm grabbing (for moving platforms) and its doing this really weird thing where it moves the player way away from the object. I've fixed the scaling thing, but it is still moving the player way away and I'm not sure what is going on.

after the player "grabs" the ledge it changes the movement state then I use an Attach Actor to Component function and attach it to the hit component from the ledge trace. I've tried every attach location type and even tried attach actor to actor function but it still gives me the same problem.

I've tried setting absolute location rotation and scale for both the mesh in the level and for the player. If the location is set to absolute the mesh isn't there (i think it might be at 0, 0, 0 in the world).

Note I've fixed the issue where it moves the mesh way below the traces by changing the attach location type to KeepWorldPosition, but it still moves the player way out there.

any ideas or solutions?

Also I still need to find another way to "attach" the player to the ledge. I've tried the way Alex does it with setting the movement mode to flying, but unless I update the location every tick he just kind of slowly floats down to the ground. Even with updating the location every tick it doesn't really snap to the ledge like I want. It has a springy floaty feel to it I just don't like. Does anyone know what exactly custom movement mode or if we can make our own movement mode?

Comment

McFearson,

I don't have this problem with attaching part anymore, as you can see on the new video. But I had that problem. What I did was to attach it before the "Moving Component to" , and I am using "Attach Actor to Acotor" with "Keep Relative offset" instead of "Attach Actor to Component"

I am still having some problems with the camera rotation influencing the player jumps direction for example. This causes some problem when I want to jump between plataforms.
            Another problem is that whem attached to the moving plataform, I can not move when the plataform is moving, and I don't know why.

But I am getting there.

Progress:

Last edited by Alex3d; 04-12-2014, 10:37 PM.
            BASIC version can also be bought on Marketplace.
            PRO version can be bought on my site only.
            www.3dalex.com

Comment

Following this thread for a while. You have made a good progress on this. Congrats and keep up the great work! : )
              SUMFX.net

Chameleon Post ProcessSharp TextCamera TransitionsLOOK! Color Grading PackSciFi UI SoundsCensoredAnimated CrosshairsMinimalist Lower ThirdsHitPoint

Comment

Update for me:

Attaching the pawn before moving it didn't fix my problem. After some tests I figured out that it was the way I was moving the actor. I switched to "set actor location and rotation" instead of "move component to". It doesn't have the smooth transition but because I'm tracing for a ledge so close to the player it doesn't really matter for me. Alex I think the reason you can't move while your object is moving is because "move component to" is updating the players rotation. I'm not sure that's it but its an idea.

One issue I am having is while ledge grabbing on slopes it stops the player going down and when moving up a slope it moves by itself. I'm not sure whats going on but It might be the trace returning a higher value each tick moving the player up by itself.

Comment

Very good work, McFearson. I like your approach on tracing for a ledge so close to the player.

Do you have any problem with the camera changing the character movement, when you rotate the camera?

I think I am going to switch to your approach, if you don't mind to share yours Blueprints again.
                  I am working in some animations for that character. When I finished those I will share here as well.
                  www.3dalex.com

Comment

The camera still dictates which direction is left or right not the player. So if the pawn is facing the camera when you press left the pawn moves to the camera's left and not its own left. I'm sure you can change it by setting up an enumerator with character states (like in swing ninja) and switch between camera and pawn world direction depending of if your ledge grabbing or not. I'm not sure if that is what you meant by the camera changing the character movement but hopefully it helps. also I don't mind sharing my blueprints at all. Exactly what part do you need to see? I'd rather not post a ton of pictures in an attempt to show every thing, but I suppose I can if that's what you need .

Comment

My camera problem is that when I try to jump from a ledge to another, if the camera is not aligned right, the jump will miss the next ledge. You can see this on my last video when I try to jump back to the moving plataform and I miss it.

Instead of posting all those pictures, would you mind send me the file: "MyCharacter.uasset" that contains the blueprint? If you want to take a look at what I have also, I can also send you mine.

Funny thing. I just opened the editor and the problem with the moving the player while attached to a moving ledge is gone.
                      Also, "set actor location and rotation" for me it gives me a weird problem, it makes the player to become almost flat. So, that why I would like to see how you are using it. I would like to see also you trace part. Anyway, comparing what we are both doing difference should be fun.

One issue I am having is while ledge grabbing on slopes it stops the player going down and when moving up a slope it moves by itself. I'm not sure whats going on but It might be the trace returning a higher value each tick moving the player up by itself.

You can fix this by testing if the player is pressing any key to move the character.
                      Last edited by Alex3d; 04-17-2014, 04:55 PM.
                      www.3dalex.com

Comment

Small update. I am working on some animations, but I just added this one to see how this would work. So far, so good.

www.3dalex.com

Comment

Originally posted by Alex3d View Post
                          McFearson,

I don't have this problem with attaching part anymore, as you can see on the new video. But I had that problem. What I did was to attach it before the "Moving Component to" , and I am using "Attach Actor to Acotor" with "Keep Relative offset" instead of "Attach Actor to Component"

I am still having some problems with the camera rotation influencing the player jumps direction for example. This causes some problem when I want to jump between plataforms.
                          Another problem is that whem attached to the moving plataform, I can not move when the plataform is moving, and I don't know why.

But I am getting there.

Progress:

Hey

i have tried to remake your BP, but it seemd not to work correctly

My Character correctly attach to an Object but it won't go back to the ground.

But i didnt understand the Last Part, where did you get your WallNormal Vector?
                          My BP:

And i can't jump anymore

Can you help me please
                          I'm relative new to Unreal Engine.

Greetings
                          Cybergebi
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Cybergebi; 04-18-2014, 11:25 AM.
                          Currently Working on a little Project called Vision Runner
                          It's a First Person Parkour Game with an In-Game Map Editor.

Check it out on Steam Greenlight
                          http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=211681776

Comment

After lots of time trying to understand an odd behaviour, I finally manage to found what was causing it. But I still do not know why this is happening.
                            So, any thoughts? As you can see on the video, if the meshes where I try to grab have the mobility flag set to Movable, my BP code ( "Traces" and "Move Component to") will work fine. But if I set it to Static, you can see that odd behaviour, that makes the character to move away from the grabbed mesh.

www.3dalex.com

Comment

Originally posted by Cybergebi View Post
                              Hey

i have tried to remake your BP, but it seemd not to work correctly

My Character correctly attach to an Object but it won't go back to the ground.

But i didnt understand the Last Part, where did you get your WallNormal Vector?

And i can't jump anymore

Can you help me please
                              I'm relative new to Unreal Engine.

Greetings
                              Cybergebi
                              That WallNormal is from the hit result. But my code has changed a little.

Here is my Blueprint:
                              http://www.sendspace.com/file/ll8hlo

If you manage to fix the problems that I have so far, the one from the video above and the one with attaching part, please post the solution here.
                              www.3dalex.com

Comment

Originally posted by Alex3d View Post
                                That WallNormal is from the hit result. But my code has changed a little.

Here is my Blueprint:
                                http://www.sendspace.com/file/ll8hlo

If you manage to fix the problems that I have so far, the one from the video above and the one with attaching part, please post the solution here.
                                Sadly, i can't use it, Unreal shows me an Error.

Can you please Export it from Unreal? With the Migrate option

Thanks
                                Last edited by Cybergebi; 04-18-2014, 01:56 PM.
                                Currently Working on a little Project called Vision Runner
                                It's a First Person Parkour Game with an In-Game Map Editor.

Check it out on Steam Greenlight
                                http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=211681776

Comment

Working...
                                X