Edge grabbing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beechomp View Post
    Hi Alex3d, I've been reading this thread front to back. Great stuff man! I wanted to do something like this for testing the waters with Unreal Engine

Now, I'm a programmer, not an artist, so I ported Alex's blueprints from page 1 (Screenshots) to C++, so it all runs natively. If you guys are interested I can post the code here.

It's a quick & dirty job (can be more optimized, probably), but it's a good start. I haven't touched the animations or anything. This is just code to replace the Event Graph (overlapping detection, ray tracing and character movement).

I have a few ideas of my own (Creating a custom movement mode "Climbing", thus controlling behaviours a bit better)
    You should definitely collaborate with Alex so you can both bring your expertise to the table and offer both code and blueprints on the marketplace.
    Procedural, modular, on-the-fly animation - iTween For UE4
    - Actors - Components - UMG - Ease In - Ease Out - Path-constrained Animation - $0

Runtime Datatable
    -All the fun of DataTables dynamically loaded from text or Google Sheets while your game is running!

Comment

I am almost giving up supporting UE4.2. The editor is crashing too much. Do you guys really need this to work with 4.2?

EDITED: Well, I just made the decision to not support the UE4.2. Montage animations with root motion is very instable with this version. I spent a lot of time trying to fix something that is not broken, but because the UE4.2 root motions problems, sometimes, the root motion part does not work and other times it works.
      With UE4.3 and 4.4, it is working fine.
      So, sorry but I won't release a 4.2 version, because you guys will have problem with it, and I will have problems with it as well.
      Last edited by Alex3d; 08-23-2014, 07:33 PM.
      BASIC version can also be bought on Marketplace.
      PRO version can be bought on my site only.
      www.3dalex.com

Comment

I just added a poll to this thread, to get your opinions about the compatibility support, if I should start with Ue4.4(most stable engine) or UE4.3. If no one is using UE4.3 anymore, I won't waste my time working on that as well.
        www.3dalex.com

Comment

I actually voted for 4.3 but now I'm getting the source for 4.4 because you just said its the most stable.

Comment

Just to make sure that you guys understand: The engine editor is the most stable. My BP code is stable with UE4.3 and UE4.4 and will work with both versions the same way. UE4.2 now is out of question.
            But, the point of this poll is: Why will I be working and testing with UE4.3 if no one is using it?
            For me, I think I should start from UE4.4, but if I have many people using UE4.3, then I will spend time with it.
            www.3dalex.com

Comment

I vote just always use the latest UE version you're comfortable with. Don't stress your self over folks wanting to remain out of date. They can always use/modify a previous version as needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex3d View Post
                Just to make sure that you guys understand: The engine editor is the most stable. My BP code is stable with UE4.3 and UE4.4 and will work with both versions the same way. UE4.2 now is out of question.
                But, the point of this poll is: Why will I be working and testing with UE4.3 if no one is using it?
                For me, I think I should start from UE4.4, but if I have many people using UE4.3, then I will spend time with it.
                4.4 is ok for me... working on several "how to do *x* the way i want" before i start...
                That was including a ledge grab for the site scroller template by myself but yours seems to be far more advanced and would save me some trouble with the animations!

(Right now i would say "tell me the price, and if it fits into my budget for my "play around project", shut up and take my money even for a "beta" release to test it )

Comment

Support the latest version wherever you can. Then leave the older versions around for people with backward compatability in mind. But for your first release, go with whatever is the current latest version. People can always figure out ways to back-port it if they need it working in an older version, plus you save yourself some headaches.

Comment

Only support latest stable version. Currently 4.4.1.
                    When is expected release date?

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.
                      The system is ready to release. But I am just working on some tips on the doc, like what to do and what not to do when building the ledges. Trying to point out most of the things that would cause problems with the BP code ( there aren't many things ).
                      I will spend two weeks at my brother's home. And I will try to finish the doc overthere. So, when I come back I will release it.
                      www.3dalex.com

Comment

Uh
                        So 2 more weeks to wait? Uff... mh...

Comment

Originally posted by Apokus View Post
                          Uh
                          So 2 more weeks to wait? Uff... mh...
                          Probably before that if I manage to release it from there, but that is my limit release date.
                          www.3dalex.com

Comment

Wow. There seems to be a lot of information here related to wall-grabbing. Does anyone have a suggestion on a good place for a beginner to start to implement a pretty basic edge-grabbing system (including edge-grabbing, climbing up, and being knocked down) for a 100% BP 2D Platform game?

Comment

Originally posted by Alex3d View Post
                              Thanks for the feedback.
                              The system is ready to release. But I am just working on some tips on the doc, like what to do and what not to do when building the ledges. Trying to point out most of the things that would cause problems with the BP code ( there aren't many things ).
                              I will spend two weeks at my brother's home. And I will try to finish the doc overthere. So, when I come back I will release it.
                              Thank you! Your system is awesome. I can't wait! Fingers crossed

Comment

Originally posted by akaapplications View Post
                                Wow. There seems to be a lot of information here related to wall-grabbing. Does anyone have a suggestion on a good place for a beginner to start to implement a pretty basic edge-grabbing system (including edge-grabbing, climbing up, and being knocked down) for a 100% BP 2D Platform game?
                                Wait for a few days, grab a copy of my system, and try to implement it to a 2D platform. It will be released with all its parts commented and with a little doc on how to use it.
                                www.3dalex.com

Comment

Working...
                                X