• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like what you doing with this. hope you'll release to public

Comment

Nice topic !

Originally posted by McFearson View Post
      Also, I want to be able to grab moving objects and move with them, like in the below video, but the way the guy did it in the video (setBase) doesn't seem to be an option in UE4. Parenting the player to the object picks up the scale too, so that really isn't the best solution.

Cool to see my video here. Just to explain my choice : my video is from UE3, not UE4, so maybe in UE4 I would process differently.
      I found SetBase() easier to manage that manually handling SetRotation()/SetLocation(). One of my concern what the fact that on a moving object, playing animation (like turning at a corner) can be very annoying to handle in code. Same thing if the user want to climb up a moving obstacle/ledge. Since SetBase() handle the movement of the user, it helps a lot placing the Pawn where I need to.

However, as you mention, I did not think about the scale (mostly because my object weren't scaled). I will have to be careful about that.
      - [Marketplace] Sci-fi and Glitch Post-process
      - [Tutorial] Anamorphic Bloom
      - [Tutorial] True First Person Camera
      - [Tutorial] Realtime Distance Field textures
      - [Tutorial] Seamless Portals

Twitter - Portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by McFearson View Post
        Parenting the player to the object picks up the scale too, so that really isn't the best solution.
        There is an option for that! If you set bAbsoluteScale to TRUE on your character root component, it will ignore its attachment parent's scale.
        Lead Programmer - UE4 Animation/Physics/Audio Team - Epic Games
        Twitter: @EpicJamesG

Comment

Originally posted by JamesG View Post
          There is an option for that! If you set bAbsoluteScale to TRUE on your character root component, it will ignore its attachment parent's scale.
          Haa, awesome !
          That's good to know.
          - [Marketplace] Sci-fi and Glitch Post-process
          - [Tutorial] Anamorphic Bloom
          - [Tutorial] True First Person Camera
          - [Tutorial] Realtime Distance Field textures
          - [Tutorial] Seamless Portals

Twitter - Portfolio

Comment

I am back in business.
            My notebook hard drive died after my external backup drive died also one week ago. So, I lost everything. Documents and some work and a few projects.
            But one day before that happening, I made a backup of this project blueprints and fbx animations to the cloud.
            Now, my notebook has a new hard drive ( SSD very fast ) and I just installed UE4.2.1, and I just finished creating a project. Then I just paste my animations and blueprint inside the project, and IT WORKS!!!!
            BASIC version can also be bought on Marketplace.
            PRO version can be bought on my site only.
            www.3dalex.com

Comment

Originally posted by Alex3d View Post
              I am back in business.
              My notebook hard drive died after my external backup drive died also one week ago. So, I lost everything. Documents and some work and a few projects.
              But one day before that happening, I made a backup of this project blueprints and fbx animations to the cloud.
              Now, my notebook has a new hard drive ( SSD very fast ) and I just installed UE4.2.1, and I just finished creating a project. Then I just paste my animations and blueprint inside the project, and IT WORKS!!!!
              Oh ****, sorry to hear about that! Glad to hear you were able to get your backed up project, though.
              Storyteller - An immersive VR audiobook player

Dungeon Survival - WIP First person dungeon crawler with a focus on survival and environmental gameplay ala roguelikes

Comment

Heck, this is some awesome work! Thanks for including blueprint samples along the way - that's really appreciated! Very useful for learning purposes, please keep that up!

Comment

I am back in business.
                  You nearly gave me a heart attack!

"So, I lost everything." -- Saying that first and then finally saying everything is OK... I think I stopped breathing for a few seconds Keep at least 10 backups from now on, ha. I'm glad you're back in business. Keep up the award worthy work!

Comment

Thanks for all the contributions on this thread thus far! I'm still uber confused on a lot of things since the blueprints are so piecey. Could someone export and upload a working version of edge grabbing for us?

Thanks again!

Comment

Wow, this is all really great! I'd love to impliment this into my game, but a more simplified version. Think of something along the lines of Zelda. When you run up to a ledge, the character will automatically climb up it. If you grab an edge while in the air, they will hang, and you can shimmy left and right.

Im new to blueprints, so I will try my best to grt a system like that based off of these discoveries, but I would really appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction!
                      Check out our game Arcus!

Comment

Originally posted by Cybergebi View Post
                        Hey Guys,

a short Tutorial:

i have took the Climbing BP from Alex3D and modified it a little bit.
                        NOTE: My BP is not done efficiently

1)For the Root Animation, we need a Target for the Player.
                        i have Simply made a Box and use his World Position when the Player climbs on the Edge.

2) Save the Position in a Variable before he tryes to Go Up, now we just Move the Player to that Point in the Time of the Animation.

3)And in the Part of Alex's BP we need to check if he still should move to the ledge or not, if we don't do this, the Player would stay at his Position.

4)Don't forget to make the Animation Montage. Just use your Climbing Up Animation and acitvate the Root Motion Translation.

5) And now we need to let the Animation system now, which Montage we would like to Play.

I have tryed many Ways but this is the Only one who worked, Suggestions? Just Reply, Thanks

Here you can Download all the Character Assets and his Blueprint
                        https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ti5619sd4...p%20Player.zip

Any Questions?
                        Just Ask

Greetings
                        Cybergebi
                        Hey there! First off thanks for all the sharing you guys are doing with this. For someone who is still very new to UE4 it certainly is nice to have such a generous community willing to put stuff like this out there for nubs like me to learn from!

I downloaded the package you provided here and am getting the following errors with it:

Click image for larger version

Name:	climbuperror.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	1052633

I tried adding the variables it says it is missing but that didn't seem to help anything. I was hoping maybe you could point me in the right direction for what it is looking for here?

Thanks in advance!
                        Something dwells within the night,
                        that is not good and is not right.

"The Book of Counted Sorrows"

Comment

Originally posted by Darkworth View Post
                          Hey there! First off thanks for all the sharing you guys are doing with this. For someone who is still very new to UE4 it certainly is nice to have such a generous community willing to put stuff like this out there for nubs like me to learn from!

I downloaded the package you provided here and am getting the following errors with it:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6850[/ATTACH]

I tried adding the variables it says it is missing but that didn't seem to help anything. I was hoping maybe you could point me in the right direction for what it is looking for here?

Thanks in advance!
                          The Error appears because it can't cast to the Animation Blueprint. The Problem is the HeroTTP Animation Blueprint didn't have the Variable.

You need to add these Manually or delete the Part from the BP, because this is only for the animation.

Greetings
                          Cybergebi
                          Currently Working on a little Project called Vision Runner
                          It's a First Person Parkour Game with an In-Game Map Editor.

Check it out on Steam Greenlight
                          http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=211681776

Comment

Well, after a few hardware problems...

I am happy to say that I finished fixing all bugs that I had.
                            Now I will start to make some docs and a tutorial explaining how to use my Ledge climbing system, and how to replace the animation for yours ( if you want to replace them ).
                            Last edited by Alex3d; 07-24-2014, 09:03 PM.
                            BASIC version can also be bought on Marketplace.
                            PRO version can be bought on my site only.
                            www.3dalex.com

Comment

Well, after a few hardware problems...

I am happy to say that I finished fixing all bugs that I had.
                              Now I will start to make some docs and a tutorial explaining how to use my Ledge climbing system, and how to replace the animation for yours ( if you want to replace them ).
                              Yeahi, I'm glad to hear that

I'm very excited about your System
                              Currently Working on a little Project called Vision Runner
                              It's a First Person Parkour Game with an In-Game Map Editor.

Check it out on Steam Greenlight
                              http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=211681776

Comment

@Alex3d
                                this is a awesome news!
                                reference
                                http://dirty-windows.de

my blog
                                http://ulrichthuemmler.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X