No announcement yet.

Edge grabbing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is looking really good. I'm going to try and do something like it in C++. I've been playing with UE4 for a couple of weeks and can't really get my head around BP. Out of interest, why did you choose to use BP, I'm curious, do you think that it simplified this task?

Comment

Originally posted by Alex3d View Post
      I am going to try another Root Motion to just start the jump.
      I should have been clearer there. What I mean is to play a blended animation between "looking back" and a 180 degree rotated version of the grabbing pose. Then when the character lands, simply switch to the forward facing grab pose.

Comment

Wow this is evolving so quickly. Well, maybe that's easy for me to say, not being the person working the long hours creating it

Would it be possible to add full surface area climbing? Meaning, for example, a wall is entirely covered in vines, so the player can climb in all directions along the wall (as long as it is within the vine restricted area). Like an insect crawling along a wall.

Your climbing system has so much potential. I think it would be very popular if you decided to add it to the market. Amateurs like me would no doubt find it invaluable. Please keep up your great effort.

Comment

Originally posted by robbiecooper View Post
          This is looking really good. I'm going to try and do something like it in C++. I've been playing with UE4 for a couple of weeks and can't really get my head around BP. Out of interest, why did you choose to use BP, I'm curious, do you think that it simplified this task?
          Well, I am a mix of programmer, modeler and designer. So BP for me makes sense. And yes, once you start to understand BP, it simplifies a lot.

Originally posted by zoombapup View Post
          I should have been clearer there. What I mean is to play a blended animation between "looking back" and a 180 degree rotated version of the grabbing pose. Then when the character lands, simply switch to the forward facing grab pose.
          Sorry, I didn't read your previous post. Blending is a good idea. I don't know why I didn't think about that. Thanks, I will give a try.

Originally posted by comet View Post
          Wow this is evolving so quickly. Well, maybe that's easy for me to say, not being the person working the long hours creating it

Would it be possible to add full surface area climbing? Meaning, for example, a wall is entirely covered in vines, so the player can climb in all directions along the wall (as long as it is within the vine restricted area). Like an insect crawling along a wall.

Your climbing system has so much potential. I think it would be very popular if you decided to add it to the market. Amateurs like me would no doubt find it invaluable. Please keep up your great effort.
          Wall vines climbing is on my todo list and it is almost working.
          My plan is to release this when most of the bugs are gone and my todo list are all implemented.
          BASIC version can also be bought on Marketplace.
          PRO version can be bought on my site only.
          www.3dalex.com

Comment

Root Motion worked well for the jumping rotation problem. So, I didn't test the blending solution.

Anyway, one more video...

And my TODO list:

* Animation for when there is no place to put the feet.
            * Pole climbing, sliding, jumping and grabbing.
            * Stairs climbing
            * Vault jumping animation.
            * Wall jumps, for climbing on places where we don't places to grab.
            * Wall running Prince of Persia style.
            * Pole swinging animation.
            * Blend animation for jumping up and down.
            * Vines wall climbing.
            * Rope climbing.
            * Hands and feet IK to put hands and feet touching the wall, not floating.
            * Pushing, pulling and pressing objects.
            Last edited by Alex3d; 05-19-2014, 03:17 PM.
            www.3dalex.com

Comment

It looks incredible, really nice work

By the way, are you actually developing a Game or do you just play around. When you do, what kind of Game are you Developing?
              Currently Working on a little Project called Vision Runner
              It's a First Person Parkour Game with an In-Game Map Editor.

Check it out on Steam Greenlight
              http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=211681776

Comment

Originally posted by Cybergebi View Post
                It looks incredible, really nice work

By the way, are you actually developing a Game or do you just play around. When you do, what kind of Game are you Developing?
                Thanks. Well, I am preparing the mecanism to start a game, a mix of Tomb Raider and Prince of Persia.

* Animation for when there is no place to put the feet. - The code for this is done and working. And I already have a few animations. For this, I will have to duplicate every animation and make them with feet hanging around.

I updated that last video with this new progress.

Last edited by Alex3d; 05-20-2014, 11:28 AM.
                www.3dalex.com

Comment

Hey Alex, I've done Parkour for a few years so if you (or anyone else for that matter) would like some tips on animations, info or have questions about Parkour stuff then feel free to ask
                  Artist and Amateur-Blueprintist at SpiritShock

Comment

So

Thanks. Well, I am preparing the mecanism to start a game, a mix of Tomb Raider and Prince of Persia.

* Animation for when there is no place to put the feet. - The code for this is done and working. And I already have a few animations. For this, I will have to duplicate every animation and make them with feet hanging around.

Hello Alex3d! Will you share the source code?
                    Last edited by zameran; 02-06-2017, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Cool.

Originally posted by leonn3k View Post
                      Hey Alex, I've done Parkour for a few years so if you (or anyone else for that matter) would like some tips on animations, info or have questions about Parkour stuff then feel free to ask
                      Really
                      I'm currently Working on a Parkour-like Game, basicly Mirrors Edge with Functions from Trackmania and more Moves and Tricks.

Can you send me some Information about Parkour? I just watched some YouTube videos.
                      I currently only have a Backflip Move implemented, more will follow.

Thanks
                      Last edited by Cybergebi; 05-20-2014, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cybergebi View Post
                        Really
                        I'm currently Working on a Parkour-like Game, basicly Mirrors Edge with Functions from Trackmania and more Moves and Tricks.

Can you send me some Information about Parkour? I just watched some YouTube videos.
                        I currently only have a Backflip Move implemented, more will follow.

Thanks
                        Mirrors Edge is my favourite game of all time
                        I actually have a word document with a bunch of info that I made for a different project, I've added a tonne of stuff to it just now Hope it helps!

https://www.mediafire.com/?jdi36q9u539t4ws
                        Artist and Amateur-Blueprintist at SpiritShock

Comment

Will you be releasing this publicly when complete? Honestly I'd easily drop $50 when they open the market place if you released it there. Absolutely awesome work.

Comment

And my TODO list:

* Animation for when there is no place to put the feet.
                            * Pole climbing, sliding, jumping and grabbing.
                            * Stairs climbing
                            * Vault jumping animation.
                            * Wall jumps, for climbing on places where we don't places to grab.
                            * Wall running Prince of Persia style.
                            * Pole swinging animation.
                            * Blend animation for jumping up and down.
                            * Vines wall climbing.
                            * Rope climbing.
                            * Hands and feet IK to put hands and feet touching the wall, not floating.
                            * Pushing, pulling and pressing objects.
                            Hey Alex. You are making such fast progress! I'm jealous- you must be learning loads. I'd also pay money for this. One thing I'd be tempted to add to your TODO list. The motion of the character through the air, particularly on long jumps, looks slightly wrong. It doesn't look like an object with weight and velocity. I'm not sure what the solution to that would be. Maybe it would always have to fall slightly, gain speed, across long gaps. I'm tempted to play Uncharted and Assassins Creed again to see what theirs looked like...

Yeah, just looked at this video of AC. It looks like the character speeds up through the air and falls. And I think the character isn't able to jump large distances without the power of it's legs. So in some situations it crouches on things like poles etc before making longer jumps. The dynamics of it are quite realistic, even as the physical impact is completely unrealistic...

Update: Would there be a way to give the character physics attributes, and then propel the character into the air, with different force, depending on whether they're using their legs or arms?
                            Last edited by robbiecooper; 05-21-2014, 05:57 AM. Reason: Update AC

Comment

I'm still at the point where I'm making notes and thinking about stuff. But this seems like it could be quite a big question. It has alot of implications about how it's executed. Do you effectively make a decision about the outcome of a jump at the point the button press is made, and then animate it, or does it happen on the fly? If it happens on the fly, does that have implications for the playability/realism of it? It may be that I am misunderstanding things, as yet I haven't spent alot of time on it...

Comment

Originally posted by leonn3k View Post
                                Mirrors Edge is my favourite game of all time
                                I actually have a word document with a bunch of info that I made for a different project, I've added a tonne of stuff to it just now Hope it helps!

https://www.mediafire.com/?jdi36q9u539t4ws

Thanks, I will be able to use it certainly well

Comment

Working...
                                X