Edge grabbing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Edge grabbing

Please, ignore the poll. I can't find a place to remove it. I decided to go with UE4.4.2 and after that.
    Thanks for your help on this.

Anyone working on something like this for unreal 4?

This would be a nice template, to come with the engine.

Ps.: I am woking on this now... rsss
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m6bJxfKrDk
    Yes, I am using UE4.3 and I plan to use your system.
    13.67%
    No. Start with UE4.4, because is the most stable one.
    86.33%
    Last edited by Jeff Wilson; 10-22-2014, 05:44 PM.
    BASIC version can also be bought on Marketplace.
    PRO version can be bought on my site only.
    www.3dalex.com

What about this? Is it possible to do this with Blueprint?

www.3dalex.com

Comment

Originally posted by Alex3d View Post
      What about this? Is it possible to do this with Blueprint?

That seems completely doable. He even explains the process of how the code works. Check for walls, sweep a cylinder check, etc. Animations are another layer of complexity but in terms of getting that basic movement going in blueprints, sure.

Comment

Well, the detection part is done. Very easy to do.
        www.3dalex.com

Comment

Detection part is done. Now I need to figure out how to make the rest.
          www.3dalex.com

Comment

That looks really good. How do check the dynamic height?
            reference
            http://dirty-windows.de

my blog
            http://ulrichthuemmler.blogspot.com/

Comment

very cool and useful indeed , would you mind to share your finding and progress on this matter ?

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowOf047 View Post
                very cool and useful indeed , would you mind to share your finding and progress on this matter ?
                Here it is!

Inside the player blueprint I detect a collision, and then I get the player location and making 500 units up and 70 units forward, so that I could trace down 500 units also from there. This will trace until more or less the player waist.

www.3dalex.com

Comment

I've been working on a ledge grab system for a little while now. Mine is set up similar to yours but I'm only tracing while player movement = falling. I trace for a wall in front of the player. If it hits a wall then it does another small trace to find a hole in the wall at the maximum height I want to be able to grab a ledge and if that trace doesn't hit anything I do a trace from there down to around chest height to find the ledge. This way you can detect ledges that are holes in walls and not just the tops of objects. after after the trace finds the edge of the wall I automatically "grab the ledge" and move the player to the edge location using the Move Component to function offsetting for the player size and rotate him the opposite of the wall normals so he is facing the wall. This is as far as I've gotten with the ledge grab so far. I'm willing to post BP if you have any questions on how to do anything.

I can't quite figure out how to make him stick to the wall. I have played around with making gravity zero for the player, but I feel like there is a better solution. I also tried changing the movement mode to flying or custom, but flying doesn't really stop him and custom stops the player, but the standard movement functions don't work anymore. So I've kind of reached a dead end without asking for some advice.

Also, I want to be able to grab moving objects and move with them, like in the below video, but the way the guy did it in the video (setBase) doesn't seem to be an option in UE4. Parenting the player to the object picks up the scale too, so that really isn't the best solution.

Comment

Originally posted by McFearson View Post
                    ...I'm willing to post BP if you have any questions on how to do anything.
                    Please share the BP.
                    www.3dalex.com

Comment

ok so I tried to break it up in to small bits so its easier to see.

This is checking to see if the player is falling, and checking the velocity of the z axis so it doesn't grab while on the up arch of the jump

This is the first trace. Just testing directly in front of the player. If it hits, store variables and launch the next trace

This is the second trace. It looks for a gap in the wall at the max reach range.
                      (i might at a while loop to test lower places if it returns true so the ledge can be grabbed sooner than the very last second)

This is the final trace. It tests a small range downward similar to the Overgrowth example to find the ledge.

And finally, if the ledge is in range, rotate player, and move player to the edge location. The white line to the top branch is a tick event that checks if the player is in any other state but falling. If so it resets the do once of the ledge location.

I am having a problem where the second trace (the one that checks for a gap in the wall) returns false positives and it sets off the "grab" sequence. I'm not really sure whats happening there.

Comment

Can you upload a video of the problem?
                        www.3dalex.com

Comment

"Sweeps a sphere along the given line and returns the first hit encountered.", my guess is that the sphere hits as soon as you starts trace because ledgeImpact is a already known hit location( which has 43 search radius), which means you are searching from a distance you still can't grab, but only the height around your actor range. So the second trace, instead of using ledgeImpact's x,y as trace point from a top-down viewpoint, you should trace from this,

reachAbleCheck = normalize(ledgeImpact-actorLocation[this is a vector]) * rangeOfReach + actorLocation

You can either do it in 2D world(only x and y) and then apply your z range, or 3D world( just sweep from the location above with +/- possible reach range )
                          Unreal Engine 4 Game Framework diagram for relation of all major base object types
                          Unreal Engine 4 Input Event diagram, scroll down to section Input Processing Procedural
                          Resident Evil Classic Camera
                          RPCs official document, Must Read
                          Everything you should know about replication

Comment

Getting there:

www.3dalex.com

Comment

Progress and bug:

Blueprints:

1-

2-

3-

4-

5-

6- PS.: Trace down, not forward.

7-

8-

9-
                              Last edited by Alex3d; 04-12-2014, 09:10 AM.
                              www.3dalex.com

Comment

Working...
                              X