Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I browse files on my computer using blueprint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I browse files on my computer using blueprint?

What I hope to accomplished is to allow my players to import their own audio files into the game from a section in the options menu and be able to listen to that audio in game. Is there a way I can browse files on my computer and search for audio files from within the game using blueprint?

I have no blueprint screenshots to post of my progress because I honestly have no clue how to approach this task. I need help!

If you add the functionality of filebrowsing to c++ and expose as a blueprint node and create a gui for it all, it's possible.
    There is a very limited file access to disk content as default from UE4 blueprints as far as I know.

But glad to be proven wrong.

Comment

I had to do this via C++. As far as I know, only Rama's BP node pack offers disk access, and even then it's only to write a text file.

When I wrote my own C++ handler for loading a text file, I just opened up Rama's node and modified it to meet my needs. It's a little cryptic at first, especially so if you don't have any programming experience at all, but it can be deciphered.
      Procedural, modular, on-the-fly animation - iTween For UE4
      - Actors - Components - UMG - Ease In - Ease Out - Path-constrained Animation - $0

Runtime Datatable
      -All the fun of DataTables dynamically loaded from text or Google Sheets while your game is running!

Comment

Originally posted by TheSpaceMan View Post
        If you add the functionality of filebrowsing to c++ and expose as a blueprint node and create a gui for it all, it's possible.
        There is a very limited file access to disk content as default from UE4 blueprints as far as I know.

But glad to be proven wrong.
        Originally posted by Jared Therriault View Post
        I had to do this via C++. As far as I know, only Rama's BP node pack offers disk access, and even then it's only to write a text file.

When I wrote my own C++ handler for loading a text file, I just opened up Rama's node and modified it to meet my needs. It's a little cryptic at first, especially so if you don't have any programming experience at all, but it can be deciphered.
        Thank you so much TheSpaceMan and Jared!

I've heard a lot about some of the things Rama has done, but just have never looked into it. I'll definitely check it out though! I'm sure it will all be a challenge, but I'm up for it! If I get it done I'll try to post my results so others can benefit from it as well!
        Thanks again guys!

Comment

I'm looking to do the same as the OP. Has anything changed in the last year? Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X