Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to control a looping particle system component in multiplayer ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to control a looping particle system component in multiplayer ?

Hello everyone,

I've been stuck with a problem
    I saw that to spawn an emitter in multiplayer in the unreal docs is to do this
    using an event with multicast replication
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	36
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	1827515

and it's working good but what if my emitter is a looping emitter and after sometime i want to destroy this emitter or deactivate it.
    I tried hell a lot of methods but none of them are working correctly

does anyone know what's the correct way to handle this please ?
    thanks
    Attached Files

Hi!

Well I haven't done this myself but I would imagine if you have a multicast spawned emitter and it is looping(like a fire or something) then to destroy it that event also needs to be run on server to replicate to everyone. Multicast will only trigger if the players are within a certain area and if you are outside of that then you will not see the change when you get into range again.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby Rösehag View Post
      Hi!

Well I haven't done this myself but I would imagine if you have a multicast spawned emitter and it is looping(like a fire or something) then to destroy it that event also needs to be run on server to replicate to everyone. Multicast will only trigger if the players are within a certain area and if you are outside of that then you will not see the change when you get into range again.
      how would i get the reference to that emitter to destroy it ?
      the event has no return value
      and i can't store it in a variable because i use this event to spawn multiple vfx , so if i spawn 2 looping vfx , the first will be overwritten

Comment

Yes references can be tricky to get sometimes. Could you tell me the scenario? When will the emitters be destroyed?

Comment

One scenario where I would like to destroy a bunch of specific actors: I have a mine that explodes and destroys actors within a certain area. I use a collision sphere to store references to the actors that I want to destroy. I store these in a array of actor variables and when its time to blow them up I just do a for-each-loop and "destroy actor". If the actor leaves the sphere before the its time to blow I remove the actor from the array. You could also do this with line-traces or whatever you want depending on your scenario.

Comment

my scenario is that my character will have an empowered attack for a certain time , but this time is variable depending on other factors in the game , so i use a looping vfx to indicate that and once the the empowerment is done i destroy the vfx , it worked will in offline , but i cant get it working in multiplayer , strange behaviour , i destroy using a multicast event like i did with the spawn emitter , and the reference is there but still wont get destroyed

Comment

Working...
            X