Interacting With NPCs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interacting With NPCs

So I'm porting my project from Unity to Unreal Engine despite me not really knowing how to script in Blueprints yet.

What I'm trying to do is have an NPC standing there. When I walk up to the NPC and look at them, they will have a glowing outline, a widget will come up saying something like "Press F To Talk", and then when I press F their dialogue, shop, or menu will come up.

I can get a character to stand there, I've found numerous tutorials for the glowing outlines, and I can make the dialogue, shop, or menus. What I don't know how to do is check when the first person camera is looking at the NPC (I'm presuming with a raycast), how to get a widget to come up when the player is looking at them, and how to accept inputs to open a menu when the conditions are met.

I'm not sure what other information would be useful to add here. Thanks for any help!

Put a box collider in front of either the player or the NPC. If overlap event, it means the player and NPC are in front of each other, and you can display the widget and do the rest.
    "I have harnessed the shadows that stride from world to world to sow death and madness."

Comment

Working...
    X