Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hierarchical instanced static mesh vs Instanced static mesh

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Hierarchical instanced static mesh vs Instanced static mesh

    What is the difference? Cant find anything anywhere, so, im curious.

    #2
    The hierarchical instanced static mesh is the same as ISM, but they also include LOD for instances.

    https://software.intel.com/content/w...al-part-2.html
    Last edited by Ali_TeamRevived; 05-24-2020, 04:46 AM.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by scratscrat View Post
      The hierarchical instanced static mesh is the same as ISM, but they also include LOD for instances.

      https://software.intel.com/content/w...al-part-2.html
      Which would be cheaper, on a model with no LODs?

      Comment


        #4
        If your model has no LOD, I don't think you need to use HISM.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by scratscrat View Post
          If your model has no LOD, I don't think you need to use HISM.
          Just asking, which will be faster, or, is there no difference?

          Comment


            #6
            It depends on your mesh. If you have lots of instances and your mesh has lots of vertices, it's better and faster to use LOD and therefore, use HISM.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by scratscrat View Post
              It depends on your mesh. If you have lots of instances and your mesh has lots of vertices, it's better and faster to use LOD and therefore, use HISM.
              Again, i specified a simple mesh, no LODs, which is faster.

              Comment


                #8
                go and test it... it depends on the project.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by MostHost LA View Post
                  go and test it... it depends on the project.
                  Alright, will do.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Bits360 View Post

                    Again, i specified a simple mesh, no LODs, which is faster.
                    No LOD simply means no need for HISM!

                    HISM is derived from ISM, so they're basically the same. I would assume there should be some additional work for LODs in HISM, but shouldn't be significant.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      But it probably is because they perform and allow for occlusion differently.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X