Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oscillating Components

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Oscillating Components

    Hi there - I'm pretty new to Blueprints, and I'm having a bit of a problem with rotation/oscillating. Basically, I have a light fitting that has 2 moving parts - an arm and the light. The arm rotates around the Z axis, and the light rotates around the X axis. As the light is attached to the arm, it obviously also moves when the arm moves. I can make the arm and light rotate to a specific angle (I would like to control the speed of that, but for now it's fine - I figure it will be the same solution as the oscillation).

    Click image for larger version  Name:	Viewport.png Views:	0 Size:	570.8 KB ID:	1737599















    I can seem to crack how to construct the Blueprint to make this work. I've tried a bunch of different combinations, and get mixed results. I can get it to move back and forth, but I can't manage to control the speed at which it moves.

    These are my class defaults I'm trying to incorporate:

    Click image for larger version  Name:	defaults.PNG Views:	0 Size:	42.1 KB ID:	1737601

    And this is the blueprint I have that makes the arm oscillate - it's the same for the light, except I use the X axis instead.

    https://blueprintue.com/blueprint/447t8-4s/

    Here's a good look at this light in action for real: https://youtu.be/8kL6YO1U70Q?t=225

    Any help would be great!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by benjec83; 03-27-2020, 06:17 PM.

    #2
    Originally posted by benjec83 View Post
    Hi there - I'm pretty new to Blueprints, and I'm having a bit of a problem with rotation/oscillating. Basically, I have a light fitting that has 2 moving parts - an arm and the light. The arm rotates around the Z axis, and the light rotates around the X axis. As the light is attached to the arm, it obviously also moves when the arm moves. I can make the arm and light rotate to a specific angle (I would like to control the speed of that, but for now it's fine - I figure it will be the same solution as the oscillation).

    Click image for larger version Name:	Viewport.png Views:	0 Size:	570.8 KB ID:	1737599















    I can seem to crack how to construct the Blueprint to make this work. I've tried a bunch of different combinations, and get mixed results. I can get it to move back and forth, but I can't manage to control the speed at which it moves.

    These are my class defaults I'm trying to incorporate:

    Click image for larger version Name:	defaults.PNG Views:	0 Size:	42.1 KB ID:	1737601

    And this is the blueprint I have that makes the arm oscillate - it's the same for the light, except I use the X axis instead.

    https://blueprintue.com/blueprint/447t8-4s/

    Any help would be great!
    From what you're presenting here, it seems you might be more interested in making a skelatal mesh, but that's not really my area. However BP animations is! So...

    I made this ( awful camera ):

    Click image for larger version

Name:	cam.gif
Views:	34
Size:	533.1 KB
ID:	1737710
    It's almost impossible to load a GIF because of size restrictions, answerhub is a better resouce

    What I'm trying to emphasize is that the camera is moving independently of the arm.

    The BP:

    Click image for larger version

Name:	BP.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	1737711
    Don't worry about whether your rotating in X or Z or whatever, that really depends on how the meshes got loaded into the BP. The timeline internals:

    Click image for larger version

Name:	TL.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	1737712

    So, it's just a separate TL for the arm and the cam, and to change the speed, you can just use the SetPlayRate on the TL.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by ClockworkOcean View Post

      From what you're presenting here, it seems you might be more interested in making a skelatal mesh, but that's not really my area. However BP animations is! So...

      I made this ( awful camera ):

      Click image for larger version

Name:	cam.gif
Views:	34
Size:	533.1 KB
ID:	1737710
      It's almost impossible to load a GIF because of size restrictions, answerhub is a better resouce

      What I'm trying to emphasize is that the camera is moving independently of the arm.

      The BP:

      Click image for larger version

Name:	BP.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	1737711
      Don't worry about whether your rotating in X or Z or whatever, that really depends on how the meshes got loaded into the BP. The timeline internals:

      Click image for larger version

Name:	TL.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	1737712

      So, it's just a separate TL for the arm and the cam, and to change the speed, you can just use the SetPlayRate on the TL.
      Thank you for the reply - I'm not sure, maybe I wasn't super clear. I'm not seeing how this works - they're triggered at the same time (fine, they don't need to be) and I'm not seeing how to change the angle and time of rotation from this. I built it and it doesn't really seem to do what I'm attempting

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by benjec83 View Post

        Thank you for the reply - I'm not sure, maybe I wasn't super clear. I'm not seeing how this works - they're triggered at the same time (fine, they don't need to be) and I'm not seeing how to change the angle and time of rotation from this. I built it and it doesn't really seem to do what I'm attempting
        The angles are the numbers in the lerps and like I say, the speed can be set using the SetPlayRate on the timelines.

        Comment

        Working...
        X