Instanced based Line Trace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instanced based Line Trace

I tried looking for this on the forum and couldn't find it anywhere. I have my line trace on a controller BP and it's set to an initial length of 1500 uu. How would you go about setting up the line trace to be instanced based per actor you want a hit result with? Meaning, as an example, have one BP with a line trace length of 50 uu (only interact / get a result at this length) and another BP with a trace length of 15 uu (only interact / get a result at this length), but not affect the trace length globally? Thank you in advance!

Let me see if I understand:

You have Actor A, who creates a linetrace length 1500uu.
    Actor A can interact with Actor B, only if it's at <= than 50uu from A.
    Actor A can interact with Actor C, only if it's at <= than 15uu from A.

Is this what you want?
    "I have harnessed the shadows that stride from world to world to sow death and madness."

Comment

Sorry if I was not clear enough but, yes that is what I was looking for. I'm setting up interactables and want to change the distance at which you can interact with them.

Comment

There are many ways to do it.

Here is a way to do it with interfaces:

Create an interface "Interactable" with one input: "Distance":

Click image for larger version  Name:	1.png Views:	1 Size:	125.2 KB ID:	1650549

Every actor that can be interact, will implement this interface, with a simple branch on the minimum interaction distance for this particular actor (or implement a parent interactable actor, and all you need is to set the distance for each one):

Click image for larger version  Name:	2a.png Views:	1 Size:	13.5 KB ID:	1650550

Click image for larger version  Name:	2b.png Views:	1 Size:	223.7 KB ID:	1650551

In the linetrace creator, you call the interface, feeding the distance from the hit result:

Click image for larger version  Name:	3.png Views:	1 Size:	104.8 KB ID:	1650552
        Last edited by EvilCleric; 08-06-2019, 11:44 PM.
        "I have harnessed the shadows that stride from world to world to sow death and madness."

Comment

Ok, it seems to be working. I just need to tweak it a bit. Thanks a bunch!
          Another question, if you don't mind, how would I stop interaction? Lol. I have a draw-able render target that I can activate when at a specific distance now but, after it's activated it stays activated and I can draw on it at 1500 uu away when it's set to 150 uu. Is there a node to cease or stop or something similar?

Comment

This is how I have the BP set up currently. Initial activation distance is fine. It's just registering the BP as still being activated.

Comment

When the distance is higher than "interact distance", the branch should be false, and the input disabled.

Comment

The distance at which I can interact with the object and 'activate' it with E is not a problem. The problem is, after I press E, it remains 'activated' and I can still draw on it from a further distance than which I have set. If I press E a second time, it 'deactivates' the object and I can no longer interact with it. I want it to be as soon as I am not looking at it anymore, I have to reactivate the object.

Comment

How are you detecting the distance? Are you calculating the distance every tick or every n frames? Need to see the activation's BP.
                  Last edited by EvilCleric; 08-08-2019, 12:31 AM.

Comment

I have passed the distance from my controller into an interact BP event. I am using a timer set by an event that is set to looping to calculate the line trace.

Comment

Working...
                    X