Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Debugging BP memory leak? (4.22 source build)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Debugging BP memory leak? (4.22 source build)

I've got a BP problem where if I open the BP editor twice (for example open a BP, close it, open the same/another BP) and then waiting 15-20 seconds UE4 starts allocating RAM in 300MB chunks until there's about 500-900 MB available RAM left. Before the problem it's at about 1.5GB and after 8-9GB. Thankfully it doesn't crash for some reason but as far as I can tell the RAM isn't used for anything actually useful.

I checked memreport full captures of before the problem and after the problem and I didn't find anything strange so I've got no idea of what is happening.

Is there any way I can debug this? I'm using a source build if that helps.

cyaoeu Wow never seen this. Does it happen with a fresh project?...

Comment

Originally posted by ClockworkOcean View Post
      cyaoeu Wow never seen this. Does it happen with a fresh project?...
      I only see this in my main project but I've got no idea what causes it. As I said after opening the BP twice I just wait for 20s doing absolutely nothing and the RAM usage goes crazy.

Comment

I tested MallocLeak (from https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/t...y-leaks-in-ue4) but didn't find any leaks at all with that, it didn't show any allocations so maybe it wasn't working properly. You would think 6GB additional RAM usage from doing nothing would be a leak.

Comment

Some more testing:

- This happens even without opening the BP editor as long as the BP is in the level.
          - When opening the project, without moving in the viewport everything is fine. After moving the RAM starts getting filled.

- Seems related to capture components (happens with both 2d and cube components) however also happens even without a render target set so no idea why the allocations happen. It's about 1GB per capture component which is a lot more than the actual render target takes (which is on VRAM anyway). Even if this allocation can't fit in memory UE4 doesn't crash, it just stops allocating memory.
          Last edited by cyaoeu; 07-26-2019, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cyaoeu View Post
            Some more testing:

- This happens even without opening the BP editor as long as the BP is in the level.
            - When opening the project, without moving in the viewport everything is fine. After moving the RAM starts getting filled.

- Seems related to capture components (happens with both 2d and cube components) however also happens even without a render target set so no idea why the allocations happen.
            What version are you running?

Comment

Originally posted by IronicParadox View Post

What version are you running?
              4.22.2, didn't see anything related to this in the 4.22.3 hotfix so I didn't update yet.

Edit: I tested this in 4.23 preview 4 and it was fine so either it was fixed in 4.23 or my source build is messed up, will confirm when 4.23 is officially released.
              Last edited by cyaoeu; 08-01-2019, 11:48 AM. Reason: update

Comment

Can you confirm this was fixed in 4.23?

Comment

Working...
                X