Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

any strategies for following changes in how blueprints function with various engines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any strategies for following changes in how blueprints function with various engines?

I'm trying to follow youtube tutorials, and quite often whatever the tutorial says to do isn't working. I believe this is because of engine changes?

For example, I just got the warning:
    'This blueprint (self) is not a PrimitiveComponent, therefore ' Target ' must have a connection.'
    but that's exactly what the instructor does here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm21...j9LG78&index=2 around 17 minutes in.

Learning game dev is tricky, and especially when tutorials don't work because of engine changes / what's legal in blueprints.

How do you work around these things?

Any tips?

Video Tutorial pros/cons:
    YouTube tutorials are a slow learning method + Frequently broken.
    Fine for basics, but otherwise overrated / laggy / frustrating mess!
    (YouTube / Vimeo are perfect for GDC talks / Livestreams though).

Recommendation:
    Try to dissect example projects in Community-Tools / Marketplace.
    Its often faster to just try things out too, drag a node / set a property....
    This is because docs don't really specify 'assumptions' on anything.
    i.e. Will this movement node do what I need? Who knows, try it out!

Example:
    Multiplayer. None of the tutorials work 100% + Some are all wrong!
    But you can try things out in UE4 until you get some basics working....
    Then after, watch tutorials to learn best practice (on parts that work).
    BTW: Epic know the docs / tutorials are a fail but it takes time to fix.

Comment

'This blueprint (self) is not a PrimitiveComponent, therefore ' Target ' must have a connection.'
      It sounds as if you were trying to plug in an entire actor into something that accepts a component only (actors usually contain many components). Can you demonstrate with a screenshot the source of that warning? It should be then possible to poke holes in it (if there are any, that is). In the 17th minute, you can see a mesh being plugged in, which is, indeed, a component.
      Last edited by Everynone; 06-18-2019, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Hey thanks ClavosTech, those are some good observations / suggestions. I'll give that a try.
        I appreciate the full answer with multiple sub headings.

Thanks Everynone In the tutorial he made a small mesh (sphere colider) parented to the camera, and setting up something where when the camera collider overlapped the character capsule, it made the mesh dissapear (so when close to walls, the view didn't clip the character mesh).

I followed his tutorial steps 2 or 3 times, but when he's able to get the two print string nodes to work, I got the error, and a some warning on my node (sorry not by engine now).
        Here are screenshots of his video, and what I failed to reproduce. One thing I noticed, he mentioned something about debug mode, (was using the print strings to preview text to be sure of behaviour before wiring up the action) and I see debug mode in the screenshots. Is that maybe the issue, that I didn't have debug mode on?

Comment

Comment

'This blueprint (self) is not a PrimitiveComponent, therefore ' Target ' must have a connection.' but that's exactly what the instructor does here:
            Not quite...

He never drags the whole Blueprint (Self) into the graph. Get used to dragging the whole Blueprint / self (to do things like Destroy or Hide or other ops on the entire actor)... Whereas when you drag the topmost component in the component stack (often either Capsule-Collision or Mesh etc), its frequently to do ops on the Mesh or Collision itself (for example change its location / rotation / position in the level, or here - to hide the mesh after a testing for camera sphere collision etc)... When you drag other components like the CMC (at the bottom), its often to change the max speed or test if the character has landed after a jump etc. Familiarize yourself with each of those components in the stack, and you'll feel more confident about what's going on...
            Last edited by EntrpriseCustomr; 06-19-2019, 05:02 AM.

Comment

I followed his tutorial steps 2 or 3 times, but when he's able to get the two print string nodes to work, I got the error, and a some warning on my node (sorry not by engine now).
              Here are screenshots of his video, and what I failed to reproduce.
              What you're showing in the screenshots is not what generates the warning / errors, the culprit nodes will have yellow warning markers or red error markers.

therefore ' Target ' must have a connection.'
              According to this, it seems you forgot to plug in something into a node that interacts with components; if unplugged, this node will target self, in this very case self defaults to the blueprint actor.
              Last edited by Everynone; 06-19-2019, 06:18 AM.

Comment

Hey Gentlemen, thanks for the response!
                I'm about to step away from my computer for 48 hours, but will post images when I return.
                I could swear I've followed the steps exactly, but I'll post later.
                Will be interesting to see where I have gone wrong

Comment

BTW:

WARNING: To confirm what I said before originally, the tutorial above is pretty much borked, it won't work anymore!
                  One possible workaround is included below (scroll to the bottom of the AH post). But its still not 100% good advice.
                  The camera collision sphere isn't a visibly rendered object, so it doesn't need Tick (Timer or loopback Delay is fine).
                  Instead of using IsOverlappingComponent on Tick, use event driven logic: camera-collision-sphere OnBeginOverlap....
                  Also in the tutorial.. The advice about changing camera collision channel on the collision-capsule is also not needed.

https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...ml?sort=oldest
                  Last edited by EntrpriseCustomr; 06-19-2019, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X