Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with AnyDamage event not firing

Hi, I'm gonna need some help...

I am trying to deal damage using a character from Paragon, but the sword is attached to the skeletal mesh. So i decided to create a collision capsule around the sword and use that for collision and damage dealing. However, although I am able to detect the collision, the AnyDamage event doesn't fire (I have set to deal 50 damage on ApplyDamage node.

What could be the problem?

Don't use a collision capsule. I did that based on an Epic tutorial on how to make a character punch but they failed to mention that this way works best for physics. The reason it's not working is likely because of overlap events. You need to set the character to recieve overlaps. A better idea is to actually use line traces and you'll get more accurate results. What you can do is add sockets to a few points along the blade (probably 3 spots, bottom, middle and top are enough depending on what kind of accuracy you want) and then start the line trace at the sockets and end them maybe just 5 units away so you can't hit someone from a distance. Then when you swing the blade, you'll get a much more accurate read on whether or not you've hit anything.
    After writing this, I thought about it more and I'm not sure if it would work but you might be able to get away with a single line trace running down the edge of the blade though I'm not sure if line traces can work on intersection with the line or if it needs to hit with the point. Probably worth testing anyway.
    Last edited by TorQueMoD; 05-24-2019, 04:10 AM.
    -TorQueMoD
    www.torquemod.com

Comment

I don't need it to be accurate, I just need it to work. I tried to deal damage directly using ApplyDamage without having to call AnyDamage and it did not work. Also, what do you mean by "set the character to receive overlaps"?

Comment

Working...
      X