Getting player input for stealth takedowns/executions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting player input for stealth takedowns/executions

Hey there. I've just started learning Unreal and I'm trying to make a stealth type gameplay blueprint. Only I'm basically a beginner and I'm having lots of issues here and there.

Basically what I'm trying to do is have a system where the player can sneak up behind an enemy, and when the former touches the box collision of the enemy it checks if he's aware or not. Or if he is and is fighting you but has less than 20 health you can execute him.

For now the branches seem to work if I simply overlap. But, I'm trying to incorporate actually pressing a button to "activate" the kill.

Only what I've tried so far hasn't worked. In fact, I even tried to have E with a print string to see if that works. And it didn't. But it seemed to work on the world/level blueprint.

Also, the blueprint in the picture is the one on the enemy.

Hope I could get some pointers.

Hi there, CRUMVIII.

The most likely reason why your input does not work is because that actor (your enemy) does not accept input.

In the blueprint's details panel, you can enable Auto Receive Input to solve your issue quickly.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	UE4Editor_orvXlC3CG9.png Views:	1 Size:	10.2 KB ID:	1611014

While this is a simple solution in this case, it is not advisable. Usually you would want all input to be processed by the player character or controller and from there affect other objects using things like Interfaces.

Here's some useful links that might be of help.

https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Gameplay/Input
    https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-us/...ypes/Interface

Best of luck,
    Dan

Comment

Seems you're right about it mostly being the actor that's the issue. I tried with another actor that's basically an unmoving static mesh and it worked fine there.

The actor that isn't working is actually a copy of the 3rd person character from the starter content but with all the player stuff removed so it must mean there's something in there that's not acepting my inputs. Even the Auto receive Input solution you suggested didn't work.

But, thanks for pointing my in the right direction and for the links. Hopefully I can find a solution or just make an moving enemy from scratch.

Comment

Working...
      X